Video card going bad?

ljastangs21

I put my computer to sleep and woke it back up ten minutes later and saw that my computer had frozen and the picture quality was very grainy. I restarted the computer and it looked like everything was going to be fine but once it got to the login screen the picture was once again very grainy and hard to read. I booted up in safe mode but I am still getting really bad picture quality and I can hardly read anything at all. My video card is about 2 years old and maybe its time for a new one. I dont want to go buy one if its not the problem though.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Card is a GeForce 9800 GT

I put my computer to sleep and woke it back up ten minutes later and saw that my computer had frozen and the picture quality was very grainy. I restarted the computer and it looked like everything was going to be fine but once it got to the login screen the picture was once again very grainy and hard to read. I booted up in safe mode but I am still getting really bad picture quality and I can hardly read anything at all. My video card is about 2 years old and maybe its time for a new one. I dont want to go buy one if its not the problem though.

Any ideas?

Do you have any other video cards that you could use to test if the gpu is in fact the problem? A faulty PSU may also be to blame.

No I dont unfortunately

Took the card out and tried pluging straight into the motherboard. Got to the login screen but after I logged in all I got was a blank baby blue screen. After 5 mminutes the icons started loading up but very slowly. Can I pretty much rule this a faulty card now?

Also make sure your not overheating, make sure your computer is free of dust. If you want run your computer with the side panel off and see if it the problem gets any better.
I would also try the drivers first because you say it happens right when you get to windows login screen.

Could be the motherboard going. It would be strange for both the video card and onboard video to fail at the same time. Also not sure if slow system loading would be a video card problem.

nobody's bothered to mention checking the PSU. a bad or failing power supply can cause all kinds of bugs.

Back