Video Card Problem

ingeborgdot

I purchased an HP Envy. It has an i7 quad core CPU plus the Intel HD 4600 graphics but I also got the Nvidia GTX 950M dedicated graphics that I wanted. The problem is when I run the WIndows 7 experience my graphics gives me a 5.2 reading which is not good. When I go to the detailed performance it shows only the HD 4600 for graphics and not the Nvidia 950. What gives?

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-3_9-0-28.jpeg
    upload_2015-12-3_9-0-28.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 4
I'm not sure either. It sounds like you bought a second hand laptop (Windows 7) believing that it had GTX 950M graphics but have now discovered that it in fact has a lower spec HD 4600 graphics chip. Have a look in Device Manager and check what it says under Display Adapters.

It shows both graphics devices. I have since found out this is not uncommon to have both of these. I guess it is supposed to be okay.

I know that gaming laptops have graphics chips that are modular and can be upgraded so is this what your laptop is designed as? I didn't realise that they have two video chips. Maybe you need to switch to the more powerful one via a BIOS setting but that's just me guessing.

This is just surmise but maybe the motherboard detects when high level graphics are required and switches to the GTX 950M. For normal use it would default to the integrated Intel graphics. I suppose you'd need to know a bit about Gaming and check the frame rates while playing something high end. If it can't cope and the frame rates are low that would show the laptop isn't delivering high end performance.

Back