Video Card Suggestions and P4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new mobo with a 1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 Processor. What video cards do you recommend that are not TOO high-end but will keep a tech-lover like me happy?

AD

Originally posted by F8th637
I just got a new mobo with a 1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 Processor. What video cards do you recommend that are not TOO high-end but will keep a tech-lover like me happy?

AD

Sell the mobo and the P-4, get an Athlon and GF-4.

Sorry I couldn't resist. What is going to be the main use of your computer ? Gaming, surfing ? If you don't want to go overboard, a GF 2 or 3 should suffice. Let us know how you are going to use the card.

No offense with the P-4 joke, ok ?? :grinthumb

Re: Re: Video Card Suggestions and P4

Originally posted by boeingfixer

Sell the mobo and the P-4, get an Athlon and GF-4.

Sorry I couldn't resist. What is going to be the main use of your computer ? Gaming, surfing ? If you don't want to go overboard, a GF 2 or 3 should suffice. Let us know how you are going to use the card.

No offense with the P-4 joke, ok ?? :grinthumb

AMD does better than Intel in many ways.
but this time, i will go for Intel 1.6-1.8

AMD right now is at end of their 0.18 products. which is hot and non overclockable, while intel has the cooler, overclockable 0.13 cpus. P4 1.6@2.2 does as good as the AthlonXP 2000+ and cooler.

if i am going to upgrade, i will go for P4 1.6 or 1.8.
or wait for the new AMD in Aug, don't think price will drop down to reasonable until christmas.

for the video card. i always go for quality over speed.
since you can't tell 200fps and 100 fps (maybe you can, but isn't a great difference) it's always better to see some black spots where snipers hide, etc.
i will go for voodoo if i can, but it's too slow for games now days.
so i will go for radeon 7500. perform as good as the geforce3 ti 200, but has a greater visual quality.

i still don't understand why people are buying any of the Nvidia cards. (sorry geforce fans ;)

I think the ATI R8500 is the best deal on the market for the price and features. sub200 price,( OEM models selling for as low as 129.99) fully dx8.1 compliant (EVEN ps1.4) Should be as "future proof" as a video card can be in todays fast-paced computer industry:)

Originally posted by F8th637
GeForce2/3 Ti or Radeon 7500. They're quite cheap nowadays with enough power for everyday use.

It all depends on your budget and what you are using the card for. If you don't have that much money (like me) I would stick with a GeForce 3 Ti 200, because for the performance you can't beat the price, if you must get the card now.

On the other hand the GeForce 4 4200 series will also be really cheap (~200 dollars) so if you can wait I would and just get that. Plus they outperform the GeForce 3 by a good bit so it would be a wise investment.

Lately I've been keeping my eyes on ATI and their 8500 as it has tons of software and performs really well, although not quite up to the GeForce 4. The 8500 is great for video editing and things of that nature, and it is quite inexpensive as mentioned before.

Here are a couple of links talking about the best graphics cards and what the future will be like:

http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=875&pagenumber=4
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=945

I personally have only a GeForce 2 Pro and it does all I want it to do, although I'm not a big gamer or anything. I plan on upgrading soon, but I want to see what the new series from both Nvidia and ATI will have in store for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back