VIDEO- None or Degraded

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading many posts, I have learned there are many reasons why video will fail. Memory, motherboard, processor, power supply and driver issues all can cause video to fail. I am sure I missed something but you get the point.

My issue has proven to be a little more challenging for me to solve. I am using multiple servers that each have the same hardware. All are 3.0Ghz P4 processors with an on board ATI video chip. None of the servers have less than 1GB of memory.

On multiple servers I have experienced a loss of video or a keyboard and mouse freeze ( the KYBD and mouse stops working). In most cases this freeze will turn into video with stripes or another pattern then after a while an uninitiated re-boot occurrs. In some cases a rcold boot results in no POST, the fans run full speed and the signal to the monitor is green rather than orange, indicating a video signal is present.

The only "solution" so far has been to replace the mb. Although I am not confident it will not continue to happen becasue the OEM has not pinpointed a particular cause as of yet. So the mb fix could be temporary.

Anyone have an idea or experienced this or something like this before?

Try swapping power supplies first... Also make sure the servers are clean and free of dust and other debris. Make sure all the fans are all functioning properly and are also clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back