Video skipping while playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karmashock

I've got this weird error on my computer now where view will skip every few minutes.

Now, I know what you're thinking... the computer isn't fast enough to keep up. Well, that isn't it. I have a duel core 4200 AMD beast. 1 gig of memory and an ATI 850X graphics accellerator.

The cpu isn't even over 5 percent of capacity when this thing skips.

I think there is something wrong with my drivers or... god knows what. My ATI drivers have been giving me hell lately. I had an error a while back where the computer would crash the kernel whenever I closed almost anything. Closing notepad for example would crash the computer. Serveral other things would do it too. I eventually figured out that it was some how related to my graphics drivers. I'm not sure if it was the drivers, directx acceleration, or some other related subsystem. But I was able to partically fix the problem by reinstalling my ATI drivers and then avoiding doing things like opening Regedit. I can't open that program at all still. I can use third party registry editors... but not the microsoft ones.

Anyway, the video skipping started around the same time. It's not too annoying. It generally only happens about once every 10 to 20 minutes in a movie. So I usually just ignore it. However, every once in awhile I have to go back 10 seconds or so to play a bit over again.

Any thoughts? I know this ranges over a lot of different elements. But something is rotten in here.

Oh, I have XP SP2 Pro... and an abit AN8 Ultra mobo

It doesn't matter which player I use.

I have noticed that activating certain codecs makes a difference.

Windows media player, Medica player classic, and BS player all have the exact same problem. However they have it more so when they use Xvid as opposed to divx 5 and they never do it on mpeg.

Divx 5 annoys me though because it eats up more system resources then is reasonable.

I use the ACE dashboard to dynamically enable or diable various codecs.

Media player classic will tell me which codecs are dominent for which file types. For example, Divx is extremely aggressive and will take control unless it's disable.

All these reads are off the harddrive.

hmm.. just a thought but i've read somewhere that Divx and Xvid are similar but not.. and the new version of Xvid can play both Divx files and itself while Divx cant and most likely screw everyone up.......

on another note.. have u tried doing some hdd maintainance? (defrag/chkdisk /f) and the usual rounds of nasties scans?

DVD ISOs w/Daemon

I have the same issue playing [Video Dvd] ISOs from my drive using dtools and powerdvd...

I've still yet to figure this out but i'll be back to post after I discover the problem

N3051M said:
hmm.. just a thought but i've read somewhere that Divx and Xvid are similar but not.. and the new version of Xvid can play both Divx files and itself while Divx cant and most likely screw everyone up.......

on another note.. have u tried doing some hdd maintainance? (defrag/chkdisk /f) and the usual rounds of nasties scans?
that isn't it... it does off a drive that has no frag issues...

hmm...

that's actually pretty interesting... I'm going to try defragging my (E:/media) media partition and place all my .ISOs at the beginning of the disk and see if any change occurs :cool:

Wow, that sounds like a carbon copy of problems that have mysteriously been plagueing my system.
Assembled with an Intel 915PBL (3.4ghz,2gb ram, one raptor and the other drive also sata and of course ATI 850 XL) the system started experiencing very strange problems after a few weeks. Strange critical errors, random system power down/resets(not reboot), serious issues burning discs (with a plextor drive!?).
I dealt with it for a while until IE stopped working (any hyperlink opeining in a new IE window did not do anything when clicked on in IE and in Oulook and I would imagine any other program I would have tried would have been the same).
I took the PC in and was informed the motherboard was bad.
Great, replaced the motherboard with an ASUS with similar specs and the case also was changed from Antec to ASUS brand (just in case, no pun intended).
Could it have been the video card that killed the motherboard?

Now that those problems are gone my video is skipping just as you mentioned.
I could'nt say it is doing it 10 to 20 mins apart, mine is very random and is only for a second. The video and audio both speed up.
This is more of an annoyance than anything else. I don't remember having this problem with the previous system configuration.
I have only viewed xvid format files since this system was assembled but it seems to me like with windows media player classic the problem is either a lot more noticeable or just happens more often.
With the media player included with windows XP I have a hard time picking the skip out but I have seen it happen.
The WMC is out of K-Lite 2.73 FULL which I installed on the system before anything else. I tried BSPlayer and it was occuring again but not as noticeable as WMC but more so than WMXP. I uninstalled k-lite and tried
koepi's xvid build from 2005 and that did not help. (I wonder if K-Lite really uninstalls everything it registers?)
I did a system restore to before any drivers were installed and started with installing koepi. The problem was not noticeable with WMXP but, no WMC to test yet... forgot to try bsplaer! Installed drivers for mobo and ati 850.. still not noticeable. Removed koepi and installed klite, open video with WMC and skips again. Try video in WMXP no noticeable skip.. going to try BSPlayer now see what happens with klite installed.

What is the best xvid package availabe out there?
I have only basic needs, xvid mostly and barebones DivX playback. Would also like subtitles working.

slowly going insane,
Ttempest

the only thing I can say is that it doesn't do it at all if the Offical Divx codec is used but that codec uses a LOT of cpu power on this system. Which is a new thing. When I first built this system the divx codec used perhaps 1 to 3 percent of system resources at most... now it uses about 40 percent.

I can only assume that that extra power is to compensate for something screwed up in the computer... have no clue what it is...

I've fixed the problem by just using Divx exclusively. Just noticed that divx is back to it's old resource usage... must have started doing that in the last week without warning... damned if I know what's going on with it.

had another thought.. try checking for power problems.. download something like speedfan or everest home and see whats on the voltage rails..

Drivers for vid card, and mobo update/rollback?
maybe unrelated but just have a look on your mobo to see if theres any popped capacitors or unusual markings etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back