Video will not play but audio will.

I have a emachine laptop with windows vista 32/ amd. this all started when windows was updating two weeks ago. my media players would and wont play any video files but it will play the movies as audio files. I have had to download vlc media player 5 times so far. each time it will work great for a few days then it wont open and all other media players will only play the audio. when this happens the cpu looks to be running very hard and it kinda locks up. its getting harder and harder to restart the computer or open the task manager when this happens. (I have to push the power button more and more times) I have been running avg internet 2013, super anti spyware, and malware bytes. they bring up nothing, and my system looks clean. its just annoying having to download vlc every couple of days. not sure what the issue is. do I need to download the drivers again? if so where do I find them? or could it be a hard to find bug? I was going to try re downloading flash, but I do not think that's the issue. any help would be much appreciated.

And after downloading vlc, all media players work until vlc wont. I tried divix, but that did not help at all, a bit of the opposite. divix has been removed.

Hi, Faults like this are usually down to one or more codec missing.
Some Video/media players do include many codecs, with others you need to download a separate codec pack.

I found a media player that does include most codecs required, you might read the page; http://www.freesmith.com/free-video-player.html
I have used this several times and it worked well for me.

Back