Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hynesy

I don't think this was a virus but I thought I would post here just in case because it is most unusual because I have 11 svchost.exe processes running. They all belong to either Network Service, System or Local Service. Screenshot attached.
cheers
Hynesy:wave:
EDIT: Forgot to add screenshot. :p

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 5
At the moment, I have 7 svchost.exe processes running- all are in System Local Service or Network Service. I know my system is clean.

Your processes appear to be within normal limits with the exception of the one showing 52.000. Check on the Startup tab in the msconfig utility for the processes starting at boot and running in the background. It is advisable to stop any unnecessary processes, with the only real necessary ones being anti-virus program and firewall. Some laptops may require the touch-pad process and if on a network, there may be 1-2 network processes.

However, I noticed the following:
wmpnetwk.exe- this is the Windows Media Player- why is it running in the background. Were you using it at the time of the screen shot?
Same thing for wmpscfg.exe.

Do you need the Messsenger service running> messenger.exe.

Bottom line is that I see several processes running that shouldn't;t be unless you were actually using them at the time of the screen shot. As for the svchost.exe processes, they look OK. Be aware there is a slight misspelling of this process that 'would' indicate malware.

One more- there are several entries for 'Search.....' Part of this can be in Windows Vista, but I question whether they need to be running in the background.

Thanks for the reply bobeye, i was using messenger at the time, as for the wmedia player networks, I just haven't gotten around to managing my startup programs because Ijust did a clean install. Even after a restart I have alot of svchost and it annoys me, altho because my computer has a good amount of RAM performance hasn't been effected.
cheers
Hynesy

Explorer.exe using 31% of processor time seems very excessive. What spec is your pc?

I have a single core 754 and have never seen it go over 3%.

Windows Vista Home Premium, 2gb high performance RAM, P4 3.00ghz overclocked and stable at 3.50ghz

Explorer normally sits around 0%, i must have been doing something labour intensive on the computer when i took that screenshot.

Here`s what I would do -

Go into msconfig start up, and uncheck everything except Anti Virus and Firewall.

(get a 3rd party firewall,btw).

Then go and strip out any unnecessary services - HERE

You will find that your process list has miraculously shrunken,

and the computer runs better.

It`s amazing how many processes you don`t really need :)

Just make a note of what you disable,for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back