Vista acting strange after reset to factory default?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leichenhallen

Hey there,

I'm new, joined just to get some help with my computer. I have an ASUS Notebook

System:

Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Model: ASUS Notebook F5SR Series
Rating: 3.5
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz
Memory (RAM) 4.00GB
System type: 32-bit Operating System

I have my drive partitioned into two drives C and D I obviously use C as my windows drive and install a lot of my programs onto D drive as I find the system runs a lot smoother if I don't install everything on the Windows drive. I'm not very techy to be honest but I do spend a lot of time on my computer and never download things I don't trust.

So I believe this is all my fault to be honest. It started with the fact that my computer was going a little slow and so i decided to remove all my games and uninstalled things I don't use anymore. That was all fine. I then reinstalled itunes onto my computer and that's where everything started to go wrong. It kept saying there were important files missing. I don't remember what it said exactly just that is told me to reinstalll. So that's what I did. And it didn't work, I reinstalled like 5-6 times before my media player started to go funny as well! So I did a system restore to the recommened setting and waited...

It STILL did it. And not only that, My Mcafee went all haywire as well, turning the protection off and not being able to update. After a while of trying everything that people suggested I gave up and used my ASUS Restore Disk and The ASUS driver disk and reverted back to factory settings, thinking that it would solve all my problems.

It didn't.

Not only were those problems still there, things got WORSE. Everytime I tried to download my downloads would time out. I installed an older version of Firefox and it still timed out and I couldn't update properly.

Mcafee is now completely uninstalled, along with the mcafee clean out tool. I am really unsure of what to do next. Because computers no long come with a vista disk, I cannot reformat and start all over again. And being a mother and a student, I do not have the money to be going out and buying Vista, I might as well buy a new computer! But I love this one and I am hoping that someone here could help me out.

Thank you very much for your time and feel free to ask any questions, I'll do my best to answer them as thoroughly as possible.

Kiwi.

Is it true that Vista loads slower? especially in turning the computer on? I heard from my friends who are vista users?

Is it true that Vista loads slower? especially in turning the computer on? I heard from my friends who are vista users?

Um I don't know what this has to do with my problem, but yeah I think it does but at least we know it's loading properly, at least most of the time. I have had this computer a year and a half and this is the first time I've had any problem of any sort with it.

Um I don't know what this has to do with my problem, but yeah I think it does but at least we know it's loading properly, at least most of the time. I have had this computer a year and a half and this is the first time I've had any problem of any sort with it.

Sorry, i knew this has nothing to do with your problem... I just have to clarify the issue and get an opinion coz i've been planning to upgrade our OS into vista. Thanks anyway....

Sorry, i knew this has nothing to do with your problem... I just have to clarify the issue and get an opinion coz i've been planning to upgrade our OS into vista. Thanks anyway....

You're welcome. I think it's a pretty good system myself even though I do have a lot of people saying they don't like it. But I think it's all about how you set your computer up to accept it. I mean I found it good, I had NO problems until now and I think I caused them. Are you going to upgrade the computer as well? Can your computer handle this bigger program?

Everytime I tried to download my downloads would time out.
What other problems do you have?
Do you use wireless, or wired connection?
What type of connection is it?
What AV/firewall do you use?

I am on a wireless connection. But I have never had any trouble before.
It's Broadband Wireless.
I am not using ANY firewall right now as I just uninstalled Mcafee.

I am not using ANY firewall right now as I just uninstalled Mcafee.
This is very bad idea. Please, turn Windows firewall on.

Everytime I tried to download my downloads would time out.
Is this the only problem with your computer?
Where are you downloading from? Any download is having a problem?
Try to hardwire laptop straight to the router and see, if you have same problem?
If so, try to bypass router and connect straight to the modem.
Are there any other computers hooked up to the same router?

This is very bad idea. Please, turn Windows firewall on.

Alright will do.

Is this the only problem with your computer?
Where are you downloading from? Any download is having a problem?
Try to hardwire laptop straight to the router and see, if you have same problem?

Okay this isn't my only problem, i have said what my other problems are up in the main post (at the being of the thread). I tried three different places to download from. the official firefox site (which i was downloading the latest firefox), I tried to download a couple of pictures from google, and the I also tried to download an mp3 from two different upload places. (sendspace and another one).

I hooked my computer right up to the router and it did the same thing, seems to happen if i walk away from the computer and don't use the mouse?

i have said what my other problems are up in the main post
Hmmm....if so, I don't see them. At least after you reinstalled Windows.

Anyway...
You didn't answer/try:

Hmmm....if so, I don't see them. At least after you reinstalled Windows.

I didn't even reinstall windows? I set it back to factory settings. And as I said I had the SAME problems. Itunes not working, Mcafee not working and the downloads not finishing. I probably should of been more clear, sorry about that.

Anyway...
You didn't answer/try:

I hooked my computer right up to the router and it did the same thing, seems to happen if i walk away from the computer and don't use the mouse?

There is only one other computer and it's completely fine. It's an old one and only get's plugged in when it's being used. I did a download and it downloaded fine, so it's something to do with my computer I think.

OK.
try to bypass router and connect straight to the modem.
Do you have router/modem combo, or two separate devices. I asked the above, in case you have two devices.

Then, try to download couple of things with another browser and see, if same thing happens.

We just use a straight wireless router, but you can plug into it.

Also, I have tried it on Firefox and on IE, what else is there?

you may have some malware on your other partition. I dont know if your restore disk wipes the entire disk or just the primary partition. are you only having problems downloading stuff, no sluggish performance. no pop-ups.

you may have some malware on your other partition. I dont know if your restore disk wipes the entire disk or just the primary partition. are you only having problems downloading stuff, no sluggish performance. no pop-ups.

There's not really any sluggish performance, everything mostly runs well. There are no pop ups at all and i checked in programs running to see if there was anything i didn't know and there wasn't.

You're welcome. I think it's a pretty good system myself even though I do have a lot of people saying they don't like it. But I think it's all about how you set your computer up to accept it. I mean I found it good, I had NO problems until now and I think I caused them. Are you going to upgrade the computer as well? Can your computer handle this bigger program?

Upgrading my computer is another concern actually.. I'm not so sure if my computer can handle it but i'll try since you said you found it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back