Vista - cannot shrink volume, logical disk manager - access denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtraver

I am running Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I am the only user; no other accounts are set up. I am trying to shrink the volume of my primary disk using Disk Manager. I right click my c: drive and select "shrink volume", and get the box asking me for the amount of space to shrink. When I then click the Shrink button, I get a dialog box with the header Logical Disk Manager, and the message "Access is denied." There are no codes or explanations, and I am not having any luck finding a solution. Someone posted the same issue on a Microsoft board on 10/30, but no one has responded.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Welcome to techspot!!!

Vista was suggesting 40MB available, but it only let me shrink it by about 6MB. I think the available space has to be contiguous and at the end to the volume. I haven't figured out how to determine what is at the end of my volume so i can delete it or move it and free up the rest of the space. I'm considering just erasing the entire volume, since I have Vista 64 bit on the other volume and it seems to be working with all my hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back