Vista freezing/crashing BCCODE: 8086

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there

This is an urgent problem.

My sister's laptop was freezing on the 'Welcome' screen on vista... and when troubleshooting, at times it wouldnt even get into Safe Mode.

I eventually got all the files off, and the error details and the minidump.
It was most important that the laptop is fixed (even if temporarily) for Sunday (tomorrow) - so I just restored the computer to it's original factory state, and am now researching the problem.
That was in hope that it was a software problem, and not a hardware problem.

The laptop is now working, but everything locks up after it's been on for a few minutes, or I try to do 2 things...

Here are the original error details, and minidump attached:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information about the problem:
BCCODE: 8086
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Thank you all !
Mike

Thanks for your quick response.

I've googled 'iastor.sys' and it all comes flowing in. Though there is so many different causes, I don't know where to start.

Some of my options include.
  • Rolling back/updating drivers
  • Checking BIOS/Motherboard is all up-to-date
  • Replacing iastor.sys (because it might be corrupt)
  • Failing HDD
  • Something to do with RAID

I'll keep searching

Thanks, i'll check out that second link in your edit.

Update: I've now been running the laptop (on AC power!) and doing normal activity on it for over an hour. I managed to get all Windows Updates done and I am still using it plugged in.
I mention this because many of my google searching mentioned people talking about their similar problems being related to when it's plugged in on AC power.
Now i'm going to see what I can research and do and update with the drivers, then I will unplug and do some tests and see how it runs...

Thanks again for your quick responses

Under AC Power the CPU works at maximum allowed speed, under battery only it doesn't
Anyway that's not the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back