Vista Home Premium Boot = BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiGBazz

Hi, Lets get right to it,

My system suffers from a Daily First Boot problem which causes a BSOD, after 1 -3 reboots Vista will Boot ok and all will be well until i shut down and leave the computer for around 30mins or so, when i try to reboot again i get the same BSOD and have to restart the compurter another 2 or 3 times before Vista bursts into life.... When the system has booted it is rock solid and reliable....

Here are the Error Codes:

0x00000050 (0x8EA585A4, 0X00000000, 0X82611CB3, 0X00000002 )

My research has given me a little insight into what the problem is but, i have never worked with minidump files before and my knowledge is very basic....Though i think the issue is software related i have no idea of how to fix it....

A-Bit IP-35 Pro
Intel Q6600
4 x 1Gb Crucial Ballistix PC8500
BFG GTX 280 OC

Bios-settings
Ext Clock 378Mhz
Dram 1:1:20
PCI Express Clock 101

CPU Core 1.4575v
DDR2 Voltage 2.200v
MCH volt 1.29v
ICH volt 1.09v
ICHIO 1.55v

D-ram 5-5-5 15

Minidump files attached....

Any assistance would be greatfuly recieved ...

Your one minidump is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

The is a very difficult error to correct because the causes are numerous. In my research I have read of ITs that have dealt with this error and even they recognize the difficulty of narrowing down the cause.

Under older versions of Windows this is error 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Probably the best course of action at this time is to unhook everything from power/motherboard except CPU and RAM and then reconnect your peripherals one at a time and boot each until the issue reoccurs.

If you have overclocked ease back on timings.

The problem does seem to be with the RAM, i have run memtest but no errors were reported, so i removed 1 stick of ram from my board and the error has since not occured..

I have crucial ballistix ram on an Abit IP-35 Pro, to get the computer to boot after a bios battery change and Cmos reset i had to remove 3 sticks of ram, boot with just 1 installed, in Bios set the Ram Voltage to 2.2v then shut down, reinstall the 3 sticks of ram and reboot..

Thanks to Route 44 for the help...

Edit..
The system DID come from the supplier with overclocked settings in the Bios, but these settings were with the original 2 gig RAM installed.. After i changed the Bios Battery , cleared the Cmos and loaded its default settings i discovered the problem with the ram voltages, once i got around that i booted the system and all seemed OK, it wasnt until the next day when i booted for the first time that this error occured. (with default settings, except RAM voltages) ... i then set the bios to the suppliers settings and the same happened... It does seem to be either a RAM fault or Bios setting error that is causing the problem ...

The Bios settings im using for RAM timmings are
CAS Latency 5
RAS to Cas 5
RAS Precharge 5
Precharge 15

But with 3 gig of ram installed the system works fine.. ive even swaped the ram sticks around so the one i removed was installed and all was fine...

I

2009 is going to go down as "Motherboard/BIOS Not Setting the Correct Memory Voltage as Problem of the Year Award."

I have lost count in the last 7 months of people's RAM voltage set incorrectly by the motherboard/BIOS and often citing memory corruption as the cause when it is really what you discovered: Wrong voltage setting.

Great diagnostic work on your part. As I said, this error can be due to almost any piece of hardware in a PC. I've seen it be caused by NIC cards, DVD-ROM drives, etc,

One other thing. Crucial Ballistix has been known to have issues. Crucial makes great RAM but their Ballistix brand can be hit or miss. This was certainly the case with DDR (PC3200 and PC4000; especially the latter) and DDR2. Under the old DDR the failure rate came at 6 months. I know, because I had one of my sticks die 6 months after my (then) new build. They replaced it though and my old socket 939family PC is doing just fine for the last two years.

This problem just isnt going to go away... Ive unhooked evrything that isnt required for the PC to boot, Eg secondary hard drive, 3rd HDD drive, CD rom, Eased back on my CPU settings External Clock is now 367Mhz when previously set to 378Mhz, Ram is default timmings...

I thenrun memtest and vista memory diagnostics with no errors reported, done HDD tests on all 3 drivesin turn as i reconnected and re booted, norton ghosted complete drive to secondary drive making drive bootable and then disconnecting original C drive and booting up... In my opinion it can only be either the PSU, Mainboard or GFX card.. Removing the stick of ram as i previously done the issue went away for a while but it wasnt a cure...

This really sounds like a motherboard problem. Have you updated the bios? Did Vista originally come loaded on this system?

It seems as if it could be a mobo issue, Vista came pre installed and with overclocked settings preset (which have now been dropped back)... Overclockers.co.uk Ultima system... I guess its a good excuse to upgrade the board to a p43/45 ... But as ive said previously when it has booted up its rock solid, temps around 35-45 idle depending on ambient temp rising to low 60's under load..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back