Vista x64 help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, before i start here is the list of all the parts of my new computer:
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Heatsink:ASUS Triton 81 92mm EBR CPU Cooler
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Graphics Card: HIS Hightech Radeon HD 4870 1GB
DVD/CD Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q
Power Supply: Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Mouse: Logitech G9 Black 5 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB Wired Laser 3200 dpi Gaming Mouse
Keyboard: PS/2 Logitech Keyboard
The problem i am having is during install, it freezes. Sometimes it freezes on the first grey bar, and the farthest i got was 25% of installation. I've left it overnights to be sure it wasn't just installing slow. What could be the problem? I've already looked on the webs for some help, but most of the stuff that was said to do, namely bios changes, was already automatically set to what was recommended....I am stumped, not sure what to do to resolve this issue.
On a sidenote: there were some tiny swirl type scratch marks on my Vista Disk, could that be the problem!? I mean, they were pretty tiny enough to maybe pass but they are noticeable..

Do you have the latest BIOS from ASUS?
What are your memory settings in the BIOS, speed, timings and voltage?
Since you have the DVD with SP1, 4GB should be OK to go through installation but can you try with just one module and see how it goes?

Can you run the install disk once more to remove the partition, then reboot, and run the install disk again, first creating a full partition, then running the full install? Often the wrong type of parition is the problem. Or does it stop you before it gets an opportunity to create the partition?

Remember, on those huge drives, the creating of the partition and formatting can take 45 minutes to an hour... particularly if your memory is less than 1 GB.

Well i got the thing running guys. I can't believe what it was. I connected my SATA Hard drive into the SATA_E1 connector on the mobo instead of the SATA_1...simple..but thank you all for all your suggestions

Oh that's interesting:

Drive Xpert function is available only on SATA_E1 (port 0) and SATA_E2 (port 1) connectors on the motherboard.

Drive Xpert function is only available when being used as data drive.

When using single hard drive in Normal Mode under Drive Xpert, please connect your hard drive to SATA_E1 (port 0) connector on the motherboard.

The SATA_E1 and SATA_E2 ports are for SATA hard drives only. ATAPI device is not supported.

Before using the Drive Xpert function, be sure that you have installed the Marvell driver in the system.

-------------

I've learned something new :grinthumb

Yeah but i think the key thing is ATAPI device is not supported, because the moment i plugged it into the the SATA_1 connection, it read the thing quick as lightning..in fact finished the install/updating process and this is where im posting this from:) Thank you everyone for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back