Vivo announces 120W fast charger that can fully juice a phone in 13 minutes

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: While we’re still a long way off smartphone batteries that can last for several days at a time, we do have the next best thing: super-fast charging. Now, Vivo has announced a solution that it claims can fully charge a 4,000mAh battery in just 13 minutes.

One of the Chinese company’s product managers posted a video on social network Weibo that showed off the 120 watt Super FlashCharge technology it’s working on. The clip demonstrates a phone being charged from 10 percent to 14 percent in just 16 seconds. While this isn’t a zero to 100 percent full cycle, it’s still a very impressive feat.

We’ve seen some fast charging solutions in the past, but none that match Vivo’s. Oppo’s 50W SuperVOOC takes seven minutes to hit 50 percent charge and another ten minutes to reach full capacity, and Xiaomi earlier this year revealed a 100W charger that boosts a phone from zero to 100 percent in just 17 minutes, though it is yet to ship.

As with Xiaomi’s charger, there are questions over potential heat issues and the number of recharges associated with Vivo’s Super FlashCharge.

Vivo hasn’t revealed how its new charging system works or when we might see it arrive, but it may be part of the company's first 5G handset, which will likely be the button-free Vivo Apex 2019 concept it unveiled in January.

The Super FlashCharge tech and new Vivo handsets are set to make an appearance at MWC in Shanghai next week. The event runs from June 26 to June 29.

Image credit: Framesira via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

I have a feeling these Chinese brands are rushing these aggressive features to the market just to gain publicity..ignoring things like the long term battery longevity.
Samsung for example probably has the know how and R&D make a 100W charger, that should a piece of cake for them..but the trick is how to do so and maintain their quality standards.
As far as I know, they're the only brand with specified battery longevity of over 90% after a year of average use.

Self fulfilling prophecy. Use 120 w charger, battery life diminishes, use 120 w charger more and more..... Charge your mob 2-3 times in a day.

And then say, what would we have done without 120w charging.

Korea has announced 2 megawatt charger that will recharge a phone in 0.27 seconds. While also charging your Tesla, and a Pipistrel airplane.

Something tells me in 1-3 years you will hear on Youtube, " THE RISE AND FALL OF VIVO FAST CHARGING."

5g, 13 min charging phones, no wonder they were lobbied out, if you can't beat em, lobby. Or maybe I'm crazy, maybe it's just a coincidence they were banned right before 5g and 13 min phones. Maybe I'll send out a tweet on my smart phone mfered in China about it not being secure.

I'm an American but I'm not delusional.

5g, 13 min charging phones, no wonder they were lobbied out, if you can't beat em, lobby. Or maybe I'm crazy, maybe it's just a coincidence they were banned right before 5g and 13 min phones. Maybe I'll send out a tweet on my smart phone mfered in China about it not being secure.

Nice conspiracy theory. Just like the flying aircraft carrier, super capacity batteries, and folding screens, I'm SURE the chinese are 100% legit about this charger.

Vivo can make a 120 watt charger if they want. There are already 100 watt type C chargers, and nothing is stopping you from plugging your phone into it. Of course, that doesnt mean the phone can actually USE that power, but technically it is a 100W "fast charger". If you honestly believe the Chinese when they claim to have some amazing technology, I have a virtual bridge to sell you.

I have a feeling these Chinese brands are rushing these aggressive features to the market just to gain publicity..ignoring things like the long term battery longevity.
Samsung for example probably has the know how and R&D make a 100W charger, that should a piece of cake for them..but the trick is how to do so and maintain their quality standards.
As far as I know, they're the only brand with specified battery longevity of over 90% after a year of average use.
I think that chinese brands are starting to innovate right now than just copying look huawei leads 5g,multiple camera set ups kirin almost surpassed qualcomm now batteries come with super fast charge and the american and korean companies just stay behind that's the truth

Nice conspiracy theory. Just like the flying aircraft carrier, super capacity batteries, and folding screens, I'm SURE the chinese are 100% legit about this charger.

Vivo can make a 120 watt charger if they want. There are already 100 watt type C chargers, and nothing is stopping you from plugging your phone into it. Of course, that doesnt mean the phone can actually USE that power, but technically it is a 100W "fast charger". If you honestly believe the Chinese when they claim to have some amazing technology, I have a virtual bridge to sell you.
https://www.motorola.com/us/products/turbopower
My old moto g4 got about 2/3 battery in 15 minutes. That was in 2016...

Back