Vivo unveils the V17 Pro, a phone with two pop-up selfie cameras

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? While we’ve seen smartphones with pop-up selfie cameras in the past, this one from Vivo could be the first of its kind. The Chinese firm has revealed the V17 Pro, a handset with not one but two selfie cams that rise from within its body.

While phones such as the OnePlus 7 Pro use only a single lens in their pop-up selfie systems, Vivo’s offers a little more. The V17 Pro dual selfie cameras consist of a 32-megapixel main sensor and an 8-megapixel ultrawide. The motorized section is also home to an earpiece and an LED that works alongside the Night Selfie mode for lighting faces in low-light environments.

Having a hidden selfie camera means no intrusive notch along with smaller bezels for the rest of the phone, allowing a 91.64 percent screen-to-body ratio. The 6.44-inch full HD Amoled display comes with 100-percent DCI-P3 coverage and a 20:9 aspect ratio, and there’s also an in-display fingerprint reader.

The rear of the V17 Pro is also a departure from the norm. It features four cameras in a vertical alignment, which are placed within a camera bump right in the middle of the phone’s back. These consist of a 48-megapixel main camera, a 13-megapixel 2x telephoto camera, an 8-megapixel ultrawide camera, and a 2-megapixel depth sensor

Other specs include a 4,100 mAh battery, 8GB of RAM, 128GB of internal storage, a headphone jack, and a USB Type-C port. But despite the impressive features and specs, Vivo decided to use a Snapdragon 675 SoC—a chip released in late 2018 that’s designed for mid-range phones.

Permalink to story.

If I could absolutely be guaranteed that a pop-up selfie camera/ video chat camera wouldn't break, I totally wouldn't mind having one.

But that would mean than smartphones in general would need to go back to fingerprint scanners as the main method of entry because it would be far to slow having to wait for the pop up to autheticate the user.

Until a breakthrough is made hiding the FaceID array behind the display itself, I'll just deal with having a notch.

It's not a big deal. My XS Max' display is so large that it's as large as the viewable area was on my Plus iPhones.

With Razor blades the one-up-man-ship ended... I think at 5... We need a phone that will launch a mini drone and cover us 360... And give us a shave at the same time :)

But despite the impressive features and specs, Vivo decided to use a Snapdragon 675 SoC—a chip released in late 2018 that’s designed for mid-range phones.

It is a mid-range phone. It's $422US.

Incredible. Seems that in the world of cellphones, selfie cameras advance faster than any other part. Nowadays cameras even have a higher res on the selfie camera than on the back camera. Which is ridiculous.

I wish the manufacturers stop satisfying the NSA greed for latest face photos and start satisfying the customer need for longer battery life.

If I could absolutely be guaranteed that a pop-up selfie camera/ video chat camera wouldn't break, I totally wouldn't mind having one.

But that would mean than smartphones in general would need to go back to fingerprint scanners as the main method of entry because it would be far to slow having to wait for the pop up to autheticate the user.

Until a breakthrough is made hiding the FaceID array behind the display itself, I'll just deal with having a notch.

It's not a big deal. My XS Max' display is so large that it's as large as the viewable area was on my Plus iPhones.
My One+ 7 Pro authenticates my face 1/2 way rolling up from the top of the phone. There is little to no wait for the pop up camera to unlock my phone. I was extremely impressed and I have very happy with it. Takes maybe half a second from pressing the power button to verify me.

My One+ 7 Pro authenticates my face 1/2 way rolling up from the top of the phone. There is little to no wait for the pop up camera to unlock my phone. I was extremely impressed and I have very happy with it. Takes maybe half a second from pressing the power button to verify me.

Touch ID verifies instantaneously. the 6s' touch Id was so fast that they purposefully slowed it down so you'd be able to see notifications.

Back