Walmart delivery service that places groceries in your fridge launches this fall

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Sick of having to be home to receive grocery deliveries? With Walmart’s new system, not only can an order be delivered when you’re out, but it'll also be put directly into your refrigerator.

Called InHome Delivery, the system is Walmart’s take on rival Amazon’s Key service, which allows packages to be placed inside a customer’s home, garage, or car. Much like Amazon’s version, InHome Delivery requires that users have Walmart install a smart lock on the outside of their home or garage.

Once the smart lock is installed, users can place a grocery order from Walmart.com or the Walmart mobile app, pick a date and time, then select if it should go in the garage or straight into the kitchen fridge.

The Walmart employee will use a one-time code via a mobile device to gain entry, and will be fitted with a “proprietary, wearable camera.” This will "[allow] customers to control access into their homes and [give] them the ability to watch the deliveries remotely," so you don’t have to worry about the person doing anything more than just delivering food.

The Walmart associates who deliver the groceries will go through an extensive training program to ensure they treat customers’ homes with care and respect. They’ll also be shown how to “select the freshest items for delivery and organize the most efficient refrigerator.”

InHome is set to roll out this fall to over 1 million customers in Kansas City, Missouri; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and Vero Beach, Florida. No word yet on how much deliveries, and the smart locks, will cost.

The service will be expanded later this year to include returns, which will involve leaving items you want to return on the kitchen counter so the InHome associate can let themselves in and pick it up.

Permalink to story.

This is getting overboard with both Amazon & Walmart. First it was leaving them in your garage, then it was the trunk of your car, now your fridge what's next you buy a pair of boxers and they put them on you or you buy shampoo and they apply it on you while using the shower??????

You do not want unhappy, shady borderline questionable members of our society who are just smart enough to work at Wal-Mart entering your house to fill your fridge.
This generation is lazy and entitled on a level that's very disruptive to human advancement, but are they this lazy?
I could ONLY see this working for the elderly and even then, I don't want some Wal-Mart dummy robbing poor Granny while he drops off some milk. Cops and Military grunts go through rigorous training and many of them aren't good people.
Super awful ******* idea this is, the fact it even got this far is a great representation of how silly things have gotten, this is about as ridiculous as the Rotten Tomatoes website.

Hell to the no. Ain't nobody, correction: a stranger, gonna be stocking the fridge but me in my own domain.

Agreed. But I think it's nice if you have a big *** mansion and you're rich af and you don't care if someone steals your 10000$ spoon set anyway.

I might just be playing the devils advocate but... They have cameras on them. It would even be cheaper for a big semi truck to roll up on a housing block, send out some employees and stock all the houses.

It's ironic that Walmart holds it's employees with a higher level of accountability then the police force. And that people prefer deliveries when there not home so they don't have to look at another human being.

Don't worry one day will all have cameras on us at work.

Delivery to the inside of your home.

Delivery to the inside of the trunk of your car.

I mean...seriously...how lazy and stupid are we?

I would never give access to the inside of my house(s) to Amazon or Ebay or Walmart.

I got a 34" monitor delivered to my door and they left it next to my door and driveway. He could have taken it to the back but didn't. No one stole it so I got lucky.

The best solution is the storage lockers.

I recently had a package delivered from China and all I needed to do was take my Driver's License and the tag to the locker in the community center and I talked to someone live for about 4 minutes. They unlocked it and I got my package. Some lockers are at gas stations. Some lockers are next to big stores themselves - or in them.

But no - you ain't getting my keys.

I might just be playing the devils advocate but... They have cameras on them. It would even be cheaper for a big semi truck to roll up on a housing block, send out some employees and stock all the houses.

It's ironic that Walmart holds it's employees with a higher level of accountability then the police force. And that people prefer deliveries when there not home so they don't have to look at another human being.

Don't worry one day will all have cameras on us at work.

I mean an accomplice can follow behind the deliverer and sneak upstairs and jack stuff while the other stocks the fridge?

I mean an accomplice can follow behind the deliverer and sneak upstairs and jack stuff while the other stocks the fridge?

And there are probably other ways to exploit this that Walmart hasn't thought of yet... While this MIGHT be useful down the road, I'd hate to be among the first people receiving this service.

Of course, we've had similar services designed for elderly and sick/infirm people for years now... groceries and other essentials are delivered via a trained aide who often has the keys to the person's house - and it seems to work even without cameras and smart locks... of course, there are the occasional abuses.... but any time you allow someone into your home, you run that risk...

Personally, I can see the benefit with large items - and for people who live far away from the nearest post office / drop point.

If I get a 65" TV, even a 1 minute walk from the post office is unacceptable, as carrying a 65" TV more than a few feet is not a simple task...

As I get older and less mobile this will be a great thing but Krogers here already has a similar service and Public's is supposed to be starting one soon. It will be a LOT cheaper than buying my own autonomous vehicle to drive me around but I'm still hanging out for that that robot in female appearance that will talk dirty to me .... at this point I'm not sure why I'll like it but if it's part of the base package I want it!

This service should only be of benefit to the disabled and infirm. If you are perfectly able bodied and think this service is of benefit to you then you should be ashamed of yourself quite frankly.

Clearly I'm in the minority but I am not so freaked out about this as most other posters.

First, if you own a home, you are probably already used to an array of tradespeople in your home/grounds. House cleaners, plumbers, electricians, handy man, pool service, landscaping, pest control are not uncommon. As owners get more affluent and homes get bigger and more complicated, the array of suppliers and their frequency of visit only increases.

Second, suppliers stocking fridges directly has long been common in the commercial space. I've wondered why I couldn't get that same level of service as a residential customer (likely with an understandable volume commitment.)

Now all those existing services rely on trust built up over time, but I don't see why someone won't eventually figure out how to extend that trust to a new kind of service person, especially when we live in an era where it's possible to ensure everyone entering the house is on HD video (or even everything in certain areas of the house is on video too if desired.)

No no no this isn't how to run this grocery delivery service crap. this is how you do it. check it out, I'm so right ill just say PAY ME right now. lol

both walmart and amazon are rich as **** right? k. provide me a "mini" fridge with a fingerprint sensor in it to open it.only myself/family and walmart employees can have their prints stored for unlocking my specific fridge. make sure some form of a 360 degree angle camera is in it that I can monitor through software on my pc and set it in my yard, permanently. stock my damn fridge when I tell you to stock my damn fridge. get out of my yard. don't even look at my house.

let's be real here folks. the only reason people deliver pizza is the possibility of getting tips. otherwise anyones attitude about it is going to be something like "I made the pizza so......u can come get it.....unless you're gonna pay me to take it to you." are these walmart employees getting tips? are they getting paid "extra" to go deliver other peoples ****? I doubt it, but if I'm wrong I don't really care enough to research it because......who cares about walmart? lol

People work at walmart for specific reasons. It's not their amazing pay or health insurance plan etc. I don't care if you have a camera on. I don't even want you in my yard honestly.

if walmart wouldn't be so sheisty with their money and actually open up more than 3/20 checkout lanes perhaps people would give 2 shits less about going to walmart and these services wouldnt be "needed" to begin with. theres literally never any checkout lanes open. the people ringing things up are slow/high/stupid/talking to the customers. it's insane and annoying. even the whopping 8 or so self checkout lanes are literally always full.

I live in an apartment. Maintenance people come in to fix things when I am not home with no cameras or smart locks. Seriously, people are just paranoid. You can literally watch what the person is doing with the chest cam and your smart lock lets you know when they enter and exit and if its fully locked or not. That is a lot more than I get from people who I pay rent to.

No no no this isn't how to run this grocery delivery service crap. this is how you do it. check it out, I'm so right ill just say PAY ME right now. lol

both walmart and amazon are rich as **** right? k. provide me a "mini" fridge with a fingerprint sensor in it to open it.only myself/family and walmart employees can have their prints stored for unlocking my specific fridge. make sure some form of a 360 degree angle camera is in it that I can monitor through software on my pc and set it in my yard, permanently. stock my damn fridge when I tell you to stock my damn fridge. get out of my yard. don't even look at my house.

let's be real here folks. the only reason people deliver pizza is the possibility of getting tips. otherwise anyones attitude about it is going to be something like "I made the pizza so......u can come get it.....unless you're gonna pay me to take it to you." are these walmart employees getting tips? are they getting paid "extra" to go deliver other peoples ****? I doubt it, but if I'm wrong I don't really care enough to research it because......who cares about walmart? lol

People work at walmart for specific reasons. It's not their amazing pay or health insurance plan etc. I don't care if you have a camera on. I don't even want you in my yard honestly.

if walmart wouldn't be so sheisty with their money and actually open up more than 3/20 checkout lanes perhaps people would give 2 shits less about going to walmart and these services wouldnt be "needed" to begin with. theres literally never any checkout lanes open. the people ringing things up are slow/high/stupid/talking to the customers. it's insane and annoying. even the whopping 8 or so self checkout lanes are literally always full.

Your Wal-Mart only has 8? That is cute. They are redoing their stores around the country. Just wait, you will have a lot more.

Delivery to the inside of your home.

Delivery to the inside of the trunk of your car.

I mean...seriously...how lazy and stupid are we?

I would never give access to the inside of my house(s) to Amazon or Ebay or Walmart.

I got a 34" monitor delivered to my door and they left it next to my door and driveway. He could have taken it to the back but didn't. No one stole it so I got lucky.

The best solution is the storage lockers.

I recently had a package delivered from China and all I needed to do was take my Driver's License and the tag to the locker in the community center and I talked to someone live for about 4 minutes. They unlocked it and I got my package. Some lockers are at gas stations. Some lockers are next to big stores themselves - or in them.

But no - you ain't getting my keys.
If you had a smart lock he could have left that monitor right inside the door. It would have told you when the door unlocked, opened, closed and re-locked. You could have watched it all from your phone. Also, as a FedEx delivery driver, I am not going around back.

I'll wait for the Black Mirror episode to see what happens when the delivery dude is caught eating a snack.

The deliverer is wearing a camera, and I'm sure they do criminal background checks. Chill ppl, not everyone is out to rob your souped up PC.

I live in an apartment. Maintenance people come in to fix things when I am not home with no cameras or smart locks. Seriously, people are just paranoid. You can literally watch what the person is doing with the chest cam and your smart lock lets you know when they enter and exit and if its fully locked or not. That is a lot more than I get from people who I pay rent to.
I have plenty to hide

Chill ppl, not everyone is out to rob your souped up PC.
30 years ago this would not have bothered me as much. You can not be too safe in this day and age. If you don't lock the door someone you don't know is going to walk through it. I bet people that don't have issues with this have never heard stories of people casing houses from the inside as they work. Just so they can go back later for specific items they saw while working. If you want to put your household items up on display, be my guest. But don't call us paranoid, when we hear horror stories all the time.

Back