Walmart to cut $50 off Xbox 360, Microsoft says it's not permanent

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Like a scripted play, rumors have begun circulating that Microsoft is preparing to reduce the price of its Xbox 360 consoles to better compete with Sony's PlayStation 3 leading into the holiday season. Sony instituted its price cuts last week, slashing $50 off the 160GB and 320GB models, which are now $250 and $300, respectively. Those rates are extremely competitive when you look at Microsoft's prices: $200 for a 4GB Xbox 360 and $300 for a 250GB model.

Considering that value separation, it seems inevitable that Redmond will slash prices or introduce special offers to lure holiday shoppers. The first tangible sign of a potential reduction surfaced today in a Walmart circular. Joystiq has published a listing that is set to appear in next week's flyer which advertises a $50 "rollback" on the Xbox 360 4GB Kinect bundle ($300 to $250). As timely as that maneuver seems, Microsoft has denied involvement.

Redmond contacted Joystiq to say that "Walmart made an independent decision to implement this temporary price cut." "We've made no announcements about price drops, and do not discuss our pricing plans in advance," Microsoft noted, adding that its Xbox 360 has been the top-selling console in the US for 13 of the past 14 months, outpacing the Wii and PS3. Having experienced "record growth," Microsoft expects 2011 to be the biggest year in Xbox history.

Today's comment reaffirms statements made by European Xbox boss Chris Lewis in a VG247 interview last Friday. When asked if Microsoft felt any pressure to address Sony's price cut, Lewis simply said "no." "As you can imagine, we plan for these scenarios all the time. For me to sit here and say that was a big surprise would be a lie…We're happy with our position. While we're not complacent about the competition, I wouldn't trade places," Lewis said.

Permalink to story.

the xbox, ps3 popularity fight reminds me of the betamax VHS fight for supremacy.

betamax had a much better picture than the early VHS machines (vhs HQ was much better) but got none of the love

You know, I may be the only one that thinks this but, don't these prices seem WAY too excessive for these consoles? Considering the fact that you get almost NOTHING with these consoles (No bundled games, extra controllers, etc) and you have to pay for a Gold Subscription with the 360?

You know, I may be the only one that thinks this but, don't these prices seem WAY too excessive for these consoles? Considering the fact that you get almost NOTHING with these consoles (No bundled games, extra controllers, etc) and you have to pay for a Gold Subscription with the 360?

I felt the same way as you about the price tags on both a Sony Playstation 3 and the X-Box 360. The price to me just couldn't be justified! So about a month and a half ago I decided to go a little old school and purchased myself a Sony Playstation 2 system. As you mentioned, the price one has to pay, to get so little stuff right out of the box. Modern days systems come with only one controller, and maybe if your lucky a game, but more times not. I've spent around $225 to maybe $250 on my Playstation 2 setup. I have everything, two matching Sony dual shock controller, two wireless Logitech controllers, 2 matching mid wheel steering controllers, 1 multi-tap, memory cards galore, Playstation 2 DVD/System remote controller, the Eye Toy, Playstation 2 horizontal stand, External Network Adapter, certified Playstation 2 RJ-45 network cable, two matching Playstation 2 wired USB Mic/headphones, guitar hero wired controller and close to 114 games. Never going over what a modern day Playstation 3 costs, with just the unit, controller and maybe a game, I saved.

It was the price tag that in the end motivated me to go old and go "refurbished", and buying everything for my system "pre-owned".

Got-a love Gamestop, they help make your money go a whole long way! :)

Zen said:

I felt the same way as you about the price tags on both a Sony Playstation 3 and the X-Box 360. The price to me just couldn't be justified! So about a month and a half ago I decided to go a little old school and purchased myself a Sony Playstation 2 system. As you mentioned, the price one has to pay, to get so little stuff right out of the box. Modern days systems come with only one controller, and maybe if your lucky a game, but more times not. I've spent around $225 to maybe $250 on my Playstation 2 setup. I have everything, two matching Sony dual shock controller, two wireless Logitech controllers, 2 matching mid wheel steering controllers, 1 multi-tap, memory cards galore, Playstation 2 DVD/System remote controller, the Eye Toy, Playstation 2 horizontal stand, External Network Adapter, certified Playstation 2 RJ-45 network cable, two matching Playstation 2 wired USB Mic/headphones, guitar hero wired controller and close to 114 games. Never going over what a modern day Playstation 3 costs, with just the unit, controller and maybe a game, I saved.

It was the price tag that in the end motivated me to go old and go "refurbished", and buying everything for my system "pre-owned".

Got-a love Gamestop, they help make your money go a whole long way! :)

I bought my Xbox 360 Slim right after they became available. The price was good then, and it's only getting better. OK, so I only got a 250GB drive and a single controller with it, so what? I *usually* always hate the games they include in "package deals" or whatever, so they might as well just sell me the console by itself. Most of the games I play are singleplayer titles like Alan Wake, Silent Hill and the likes. I really have no use for a second controller. You can always buy games through Xbox Live as well. They've even got a bunch of fun arcade games, I liked that.

What I *didn't* like was getting a composite cable! I had to get a HDMI cable myself. That's just unforgivable in 2011. Also, this was my first console since the PS1, so I had no clue about having to pay for a "Gold Membership" to play online. It wouldn't really be so bad if I used the console more often and played online, but I'm usually always gaming on the PC and ranting on Skype all day, so that Gold Membership is completely wasted on me!

I've been suckered into paying for Gold Membership a couple times on sale, so I know very well the hazzle involved with terminating said membership. You have to call them and answer questions, like "Who's your favorite superhero?" And then you forget having entered something ridiculous like "Steve Jobs" as the answer. Why on earth can't we get to cancel the subscription in our Xbox Live accounts? Ugh!

Back