Watch AMD unveil the Radeon RX 6700 XT

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: The third episode of AMD’s Where Gaming Begins takes place in a few hours, and you can watch all the proceedings right here. We’re expecting to see team red reveal the mid-range Radeon RX 6700 XT—its answer to Nvidia’s RTX 3060 Ti. Make sure to tune in at 11am ET / 8am PT / 4pm GMT.

After revealing the Zen 3-powered Ryzen 5000 processors at the first Where Gaming Begins event in October, AMD lifted the lid on the Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards during a second presentation a few weeks later. Part three, announced last week, will cover the latest addition to the Radeon RX 6000 line.

We’re expecting AMD to unveil the Radeon RX 6700 XT. The card is predicted to come in at under $500, where it will go up against the RTX 3060 Ti and perhaps even the RTX 3070. Rumors put the card’s actual launch date two weeks from now—March 17.

Rumored specs claim the Radeon RX 6700 will feature 40 Compute Units, 2,304 Stream Processors, and 36 Ray Accelerators, while the XT variant increases this to 2,560 Stream Processors and 40 Ray Accelerators.

The Radeon 6700 XT will reportedly feature 12 GB of VRAM, a 192-bit bus interface and 384 GB/s total bandwidth, along with a 1,574 MHz base, 2,549 MHz boost, and 189W TDP.

Elsewhere, the event will hopefully see AMD reveal more about Super Resolution, its answer to Nvidia’s DLSS supersampling technology. The company says its version will be an open-source project that should be easier to implement across various games.

Permalink to story.

I'm interested to see how it does but there's a problem that I've been having lately and I know that it's not just me. It's getting really hard to care about the release of something that almost nobody will be actually able to buy and those that do will pay far more than they should.

I'm interested to see how it does but there's a problem that I've been having lately and I know that it's not just me. It's getting really hard to care about the release of something that almost nobody will be actually able to buy and those that do will pay far more than they should.

Well hopefully Biden's planned restrictions and regulations of this crypto nonsense (I refuse to call it "currency") will put a stop to - or slow down the scalping related to GPU being used in crypto mining.

Hopefully the democrats will claim it's a global warming issue and ban it altogether. India already did.

Well hopefully Biden's planned restrictions and regulations of this crypto nonsense (I refuse to call it "currency") will put a stop to - or slow down the scalping related to GPU being used in crypto mining.

Hopefully the democrats will claim it's a global warming issue and ban it altogether. India already did.

That'd be a good start, but not sure how that would result on anything beyond "Russian miners get even MORE cards now!"

Still at the very least it would make it more difficult for AMD, Nvidia and specially for their board partners to claim to support the US market too if they suddenly just stop answering American retailers because they know they can sell to Russian miners directs for triple the MSRP so at least no more plausible deniability and complicity from all involved in the aforementioned supply chain.

Considering the much lower mining power of the 6800/6800XT compared to Nvidia's offerings, I wonder if these will be profitable enough to warrant purchases by miners (besides the usual scalpers).
This is a new definition of the "Sweet Spot". Wonder if 'crippled' will become featured in the advertising.

That'd be a good start, but not sure how that would result on anything beyond "Russian miners get even MORE cards now!"

Still at the very least it would make it more difficult for AMD, Nvidia and specially for their board partners to claim to support the US market too if they suddenly just stop answering American retailers because they know they can sell to Russian miners directs for triple the MSRP so at least no more plausible deniability and complicity from all involved in the aforementioned supply chain.
Weird xenophobic first-world flex, but ok

"Look I don't care if your Vietnamese internet cafe has been closed for over a year thanks to COVID, you can all starve and die because I can't get my hand on the latest 120 FPS graphix for Call of Duty [CURRENT_YEAR_RELEASE]!"

-Tools

Last edited:

Will still try to get one at MSRP at launch, hoping this attempt will be more successful than when I tried to get a 3060Ti FE.

I will be trying to buy any card at MSRP at this point and will immediately list it on eBay if I’m successful. It’s really easy money. Although if I could get a 3080 at MSRP I’d probably keep it and sell my 2080.

AMD is allegedly shipping a lot more of these cards to retail stores rather than online stores, to minimize scalping and buying of large quantities. So if you want one, go to your local shop.

Additionally, the reviews for these cards will come out one day before the cards themselves, and AIBs will launch the same day as the reference designs.

Even if you can't get one immediately, AMD is doing good things here. Much better than nVidia's backhanded approach of gimping the card.

AMD is allegedly shipping a lot more of these cards to retail stores rather than online stores, to minimize scalping and buying of large quantities. So if you want one, go to your local shop.

Additionally, the reviews for these cards will come out one day before the cards themselves, and AIBs will launch the same day as the reference designs.

Even if you can't get one immediately, AMD is doing good things here. Much better than nVidia's backhanded approach of gimping the card.

They also said that they will carry their own cards and others OEMs cards on their site.

Lets see if they do something that will stop the bots.

Yeah right. Democrats wont do anything to screw over their brothers in arms in the CCP, and china is a major investor in bitcoin and other altcoins now. USA banning it would screw over chinese business interests.

Also, the hypocracy of claiming that Mining is terrible for global warming, while wanting these GPUs to play video games, can be seen 20 light years away. Gaming produces nothing, at least with coin mining you can produce something of value. It's no less a currency then FIAT currency, like the US dollar.

Yeah right. Democrats wont do anything to screw over their brothers in arms in the CCP, and china is a major investor in bitcoin and other altcoins now. USA banning it would screw over chinese business interests.

Also, the hypocracy of claiming that Mining is terrible for global warming, while wanting these GPUs to play video games, can be seen 20 light years away. Gaming produces nothing, at least with coin mining you can produce something of value. It's no less a currency then FIAT currency, like the US dollar.
Agreed... And I would also like to add to this...

Germany is the country with the highest proportion of renewable energy, at 13%. Want to guess the proportion of renewable energy in crypto mining...? Close to 40% of mining power comes from green sources. That's better than any country out there. In fact, that's more power on green energy than whole countries. But of course, you never hear about that.

Miners have the incentive and the funds to push renewable energy, because it benefits their business. More so than any other industry out there. And I bet their goal is to go fully on renewable energy, and possibly even sell green energy after that is achieved.

The arguments about global warming simply make zero sense. It only comes from the ones that do not understand the technology.

To me, it's actually a shame that RDNA2 is relatively bad at mining, because every gamer can make their graphics card pay for itself by mining. With these cards it will simply take longer to do so.

Agreed... And I would also like to add to this...

Germany is the country with the highest proportion of renewable energy, at 13%. Want to guess the proportion of renewable energy in crypto mining...? Close to 40% of mining power comes from green sources. That's better than any country out there. In fact, that's more power on green energy than whole countries. But of course, you never hear about that.

Miners have the incentive and the funds to push renewable energy, because it benefits their business. More so than any other industry out there. And I bet their goal is to go fully on renewable energy, and possibly even sell green energy after that is achieved.

The arguments about global warming simply make zero sense. It only comes from the ones that do not understand the technology.

To me, it's actually a shame that RDNA2 is relatively bad at mining, because every gamer can make their graphics card pay for itself by mining. With these cards it will simply take longer to do so.
Not to mention that miners also consume power at predictable, steady rates, especially during the overnight hours, when most otherwise "wasted" energy is being produced.

But facts are less important than selfish gamer memes around these parts.

"Look I don't care if your Vietnamese internet cafe has been closed for over a year thanks to COVID, you can all starve and die because I can't get my hand on the latest 120 FPS graphix for Call of Duty [CURRENT_YEAR_RELEASE]!"

-Tools

Do you think a Vitnamese internet cafe that has been closed for over a year has enough cash to buy the overpriced GPUS (plural) needed to make a living out of crypto mining? How many cards would you need?

Not to mention that miners also consume power at predictable, steady rates, especially during the overnight hours, when most otherwise "wasted" energy is being produced.

But facts are less important than selfish gamer memes around these parts.
I find it laughable when people say crypto mining should be banned because it’s bad for the environment. Have these people not seen actual mining? Like for ores etc in the ground?

At least you can theoretically source clean energy for mining. And fixing global warming won’t happen by using less energy, once we are carbon free we should be able to use as much as we like.

Back