Watch as this angry hawk takes out a quadcopter drone in mid-air

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It was a seemingly normal Wednesday for YouTuber Christopher Schmidt. He was out flying his Phantom FC40 quadcopter at Magazine Beach Park in Cambridge, Massachusetts, when a hawk decided he wasn’t too thrilled with the drone’s presence.

As the footage from the drone-mounted GoPro Hero 3+ Black clearly shows, the hawk swoops in for the kill and sent the aircraft plummeting to the ground.

Schmidt notes that once he saw the hawk approach, he throttled down the props on the drone to try and minimize any harm to the bird. As far as he could tell, the hawk was unscathed (as was the drone).

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Makes me want to build a quad copter suit for my cat
23069501catcopter.gif

Yet another reason to outlaw these stupid things. I'd sooner believe that private citizens need machine guns than flying camcorders.

As long as the cat in question is a munchkin cat, that way he doesnt jump on my counters.
That's what my latest product, the tabby taser is for! It's a collar you give your cat and whenever they act up you can give them a gentle shock of about 50,000 volts. It even features wireless charging so you'll never have to change the battery!

I don't see an angry hawk here! I just see perfection of nature protecting it's territory whilst doing humanity a great service. Job well done my feathered friend!

The NSA, Amazon, Google etc are probably already commissioning some arms company to produce "air to hawk" missiles!

Looks to me like the hawk was trying to land, maybe the copter looked very much like a stationary object?

I think it was trying to catch it to eat it. It may look like small game for them. The bird looked fairly big compared to a Phantom2.

Looks to me like the hawk was trying to land, maybe the copter looked very much like a stationary object?
That does make you wonder! And I agree that the bird did not look to be angry and attacking. Have you ever seen a bird attack another bird? They don't get away easily, and they try real hard. This quad-chopper just stops and doesn't try to evade. Yet the bird disappears afterward.

I don't see an angry hawk here! I just see perfection of nature protecting it's territory whilst doing humanity a great service. Job well done my feathered friend!

The NSA, Amazon, Google etc are probably already commissioning some arms company to produce "air to hawk" missiles!
Good eyes, mate.

In the US where Raptors are federally protected, any such attempt at shooting raptors, or other protected birds, out of the sky will be met with long, federal prison sentences.

I'll speculate that if such things become more ubiquitous, it won't only be hawks chasing these things out of their territory, it will be birds like red-wing blackbirds and other smaller birds that commonly chase bigger birds like hawks out of their territory. These things will be prime targets for birds, and there will probably be ignorant users of these things that will start a campaign to eliminate all birds.

It is too bad the hawk left the quadra copter intact, IMHO.

A hawk's feet are what it uses to grab things - including catching things in the air. Having some knowledge of bird behavior, to me, this is a bird defending its territory.

Meanwhile, in Soviet Russia... Ah, nevermind:
:D
(@animalrightsgodchosenorwhatever, no, not really)

Yet another reason to outlaw these stupid things. I'd sooner believe that private citizens need machine guns than flying camcorders.

Comments like yours scare me. Why do you feel like the government needs to ban something else, much less an expensive recreational toy?

Back