Watch the new Doom game hit 200 FPS at ultra settings using Nvidia's GTX 1080

midian182

Staff member

Nvidia got gamers’ hearts fluttering on Friday when the company unveiled its incredible new GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 graphics cards. As part of the event, Nvidia brought game developer id Software onto the stage to show off its upcoming Doom title running on a 1080 - and hitting 200 fps.

PC Gamer caught the demonstration on video. The game is running using Vulkan, the low-overhead API developed by the Khronos group that lets developers take advantage of the GPU in conjunction with several CPU cores.

While the projector is limited to 1080p, the game’s settings are pumped up to ultra. The team has V-Sync turned on for the first couple of minutes, which keeps the frame rate at a solid 60 fps. At around the 1 minute 50 second mark V-Sync is switched off, and if you look at the counter in the top right corner, you’ll see the fps increase to around 170 - 200.

Id's developers said they’re still trying to fix some graphical issues with the game’s engine that appear when Doom reaches 200 fps, which they “weren’t able to detect until they had the performance of the GTX 1080.”

Doom will launch with OpenGL support this Friday, and will receive a Vulkan support update soon after.

Nvidia boasts that the GTX 1080 is “a whole lot faster” than the Titan X, and is even faster than two GTX 980s in SLI, while consuming a lot less power. With this kind of performance, don’t be surprised to see the Pascal-based cards become two of the best-selling GPUs Nvidia has ever produced.

Doom launches at 12 AM EST on Friday May 13. The GTX 1080 will be available worldwide from May 27 for $599, or $699 for the “Founder’s Edition.” The GTX 1070 will follow on June 10 for $379, with the Founder’s Edition costing $449.

Permalink to story.

200 fps is 8800 fps less than 9000. This means that the 1080 still isn't as powerful as Goku.

Put that pipe away, man! ;)

By the time I get around updating my video card, there will be at least GTX 1080 Ti available. Remember how many people who bought GTX 980 were sorry for not waiting for GTX 980 Ti? It may be the same this time :)

Last edited:
By the time I get around updating my video card, there will be at least GTX 1080 Ti available. Remember how many people who bought GTX 980 were sorry for not waiting for GTX 980 Ti? It may be the same this time :)

Pretty much. Best to wait a little while on this one.

Nvidia boasts that the GTX 1080 is “a whole lot faster” than the Titan X, and is even faster than two GTX 980s in SLI, while consuming a lot less power. With this kind of performance, don’t be surprised to see the Pascal-based cards become two of the best-selling GPUs Nvidia has ever produced.

Bad logic. This is very unlike to happen. Card availability will be limited for long time, because manufacturing process is new and so capacity very limited. Also because these are first cards using new manufacturing process, they can be expected to have quite short lifetime.

200 fps is 8800 fps less than 9000. This means that the 1080 still isn't as powerful as Goku.

Put that pipe away, man! ;)

You may not want to wait this time around. Pascal is Nvidia's biggest die ever made, it's a massive chip. This also means that it's very expensive for Nvidia to produce and that yields are going to be very low. New process and a low yield chip usually equals a supply shortage. Nvidia will have to pull a rabbit out of a hat if they are to get a 1080 Ti out anytime soon.

Just one issue with this headline and article. The average frame rate Doom was running with, in the video after they uncapped it was 130 and spiked to around 150. The writer needs to look closer at the number in the top left corner of the video.

Also, its vague but it doesn't clearly say what resolution it is running at. I can claim a GTX 560 runs 200 FPS if I'm running its resolution at 540p Resolution means everything when referring to a video card's power and vastly impacts its performance. People who know video cards and how to benchmark their performance know this. People who write reviews claiming how awesome a video card is without ever mentioning what resolution they are running at are untrustworthy reviews as they are misleading and uninformative.

Just one issue with this headline and article. The average frame rate Doom was running with, in the video after they uncapped it was 130 and spiked to around 150. The writer needs to look closer at the number in the top left corner of the video.

Also, its vague but it doesn't clearly say what resolution it is running at. I can claim a GTX 560 runs 200 FPS if I'm running its resolution at 540p Resolution means everything when referring to a video card's power and vastly impacts its performance. People who know video cards and how to benchmark their performance know this. People who write reviews claiming how awesome a video card is without ever mentioning what resolution they are running at are untrustworthy reviews as they are misleading and uninformative.
It says in the article it's running at 1080p.

Hmmmm with these frame rates and maybe after I few patches this game could run perfectly on a 144hz/165hz monitor @ 1440p w gsync on. I think at the end of the summer I might just sell my 5 4690k rig with my regular gtx 980 and shoot for a skylake pascal but then again who knows what will be on shelves when christmas strolls through. such a hard decision when to be "out with the old an in with the new" when it comes to your gaming rig :(

With all these energy weapons, plasma weapons, rocket launchers, miniguns, ect, they still include a double barrel shotgun which seemingly has no place in a futuristic warfare environment, even the regular shotgun seems like vast improvement and reminds me more of the Flak Cannon from Unreal Tournament a real evolutionary shotgun. Like who the hell would still be making shells for such a primitive weapon, and why would any one believe it to be worth anything, it just seems silly... Just saying, these developers need to be a little more creative with games or they're just always going to be the same game year after year, oh wait we already have that and it's call Call of Duty.

Ive seen my 980ti hitting 200 on this game ... on nightmare mode (above ultra). Granted its not constant 200 and hovers more between 140 and 170 but I have deffo had many times where it's 200.

Back