Watch this: YouTuber shows the history of the FPS genre through this masterfully-edited...

Polycount

Staff
Nostalgia: With the beautiful modern graphics of Call of Duty or Battlefield, it's easy to forget where the first person shooter genre started. Fortunately, we can all take a collective walk down memory lane with YouTuber 4096's latest video: "first person shooter." It's a collection of short clips from FPS games dating back to the original Wolfenstein, but that description alone is selling the video short.

To say the video is well-edited would be a drastic understatement -- it's a masterclass in clip transitions, with each piece of game footage perfectly linking to the next.

Some of the transitions are so smooth that, at multiple points, I failed to notice the video had already moved on to the next game and had to rewind. If you watch it yourself, you'll see what I'm talking about. The swap between Mirror's Edge and Portal at the 2:26 mark is particularly impressive.

Clever editing tricks aside, first person shooter is a great way to get a quick dose of nostalgia and marvel at just how far this genre of video games has come. And, now that next-gen consoles have finally arrived, we can speculate as to where shooters might go over the next five or ten years.

If you find the time to watch 4096's latest creation, feel free to drop us a line in the comments with your thoughts on the YouTuber's editing skills. Alternatively, let us know what your favorite shooter of all time is -- mine is probably Call of Duty: World at War.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Of all FPS, Duke Nukem 3D was my favorite because the maps were the most creative and imaginative.

But then I played through Doom 1 and 2.

That's when I realized, yes, DOOM was the best FPS ever made with DOOM2 being more challenging and polished.

Man .... I loved DOOM, in fact when I was working on a network group we used to shut down the network at lunch and play for an hour .... and listen to all the hard corp gerbils grumble about not being able to work during lunch! LOL

Nice video but shouldn't the article mention what changes were introduced that helped bring the whole genre forward each time and also mention the games themselves. Without that there's no real value added in the piece.

Nice that he added MOHAA.
I understand that some good games are missing, but I guess anyone can name a game that should be in the list and it would get huge.
The only complaint I have is that some games aren't really FPS games. Sure they are first person but they ain't shooters

Nice video but shouldn't the article mention what changes were introduced that helped bring the whole genre forward each time and also mention the games themselves. Without that there's no real value added in the piece.

This was just a quick "Found" piece to draw the community's attention to a really cool work of art. A deeper analysis would be better suited for a lengthier feature, which I'm not opposed to, but it doesn't really suit this style of article.

Unreal Tournament(s) for sheer action; Crysis(s) for sheer everything.

Unreal is missing, the game that really had unreal graphics in 1998. No competitor was even close. While its evolution, Unreal Tournament, was king of gameplay, quickly copied by Halo (but UT was still better). Crysis with its amazing graphics is missing in the video. And let's not forget F.E.A.R. which was also a cool game.

But yeah, transition between the games is absolutely mindblowing. Haven't noticed the moment of transition between at least 6 games, if not more. The most impressive being this one:

Where the first game ends and the second begins? Incredible.

Man .... I loved DOOM, in fact when I was working on a network group we used to shut down the network at lunch and play for an hour .... and listen to all the hard corp gerbils grumble about not being able to work during lunch! LOL
That was network stress testing😉

Back