Water cooling suggestions, budget is 160 to 170 pounds

you don't need anything elaborate if you are just looking to cool the CPU; a single radiator setup would probably work just fine and be more compact. check out the inventory @ www.frozencpu.com for liquid stuff. they are a US-based company but they ship worldwide. they have one of the best selections of CPU cooling products on the market.

i would recommend a pre-configured kit with 3/8 I/D tubing and preferably an LGA-1366 cpu block (that doesn't require any modification or mount swapping).

its to expensive to ship world wide i ordered my cpu from the us and i got taxed and extra 100 pound s for shipping

Might I suggest...
EK Supreme HK Revision 3 Pure Copper CPU block (£49.33)
EK D5 X-Top pump Rev.2 (£25.38)
EK-Multioption RES X2 reservoir (£25.83)
EK CoolStream RAD XT 120 radiator (£24.97)
Feser 1 UV coolant (1 litre) (£8.80)
Bitspower 1/4 to 3/8 hose tail (barbs) (£20.56 for 8)
2m TFC White "Hot" UV Reactive Tube 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD (£5.86)
Fixin's...
Bitspower compression fittings (£37.44 for 8)
or cheaper...
Hose clamps (steel (£7.44 for 8)
or cheapest...
Hose clamps (PVC (£3.40 for pack of 10)

Total: £198.17 w/ Bitspower compression fittings, £168.17 w/steel hose clamps + 1 or 2 120mm fans of choice

I "shopped" at one outlet for combined shipping and also not knowing of a great many UK etailers that support watercooling products. You can probably do better by shopping around.
Bear in mind that you could find cheaper alternatives, for example the Black Ice/Danger Den rads are usually cheaper, as are barbs and fittings that aren't made by Bitspower. I personally chose Bitspower because I know and trust them-they are also about the best quality you can buy, and a watercooling loop is only as good (or watertight) as it's weakest link.
Another alternative could be a bay reservoir/pump combo if you have a spare 5.25" bay or two.

@EXCellR8
Shipping (+ mandatory insurance and signed delivery) that requires the product to cross an ocean is horrendous in cost. Example: I bought a couple of memory modules from Crucial and Mushkin -shipping/insurance each came to $US25 and 35. I also recently bought an Core i7 965 bare CPU (tray, OEM) -shipping in it's plastic blister pack/clamshell + a little bubblewrap cost $US48.50 standard airmail or $US62 priority 3 day delivery.

I know this, but if anything you can browse any selection and then just search around at UK stores for comparable parts. The reason I bring up FrozenCPU is I know they have great service, a huge selection of respectable liquid cooling parts, and ship things fast. They are NY-based so I doubt the shipping to UK would be "horrendous." :)

For CPU cooling only, imho it's much easier to just get a kit that includes everything.

I know this, but if anything you can browse any selection and then just search around at UK stores for comparable parts.
Not much good if you don't know what to look for in the first place. I think that was the reasoning behind nik posting here.
They are NY-based so I doubt the shipping to UK would be "horrendous." :)
Kind of depends if you consider 50% of the purchase price horrendous or not I suppose. Do you often buy etail and pay 50%+ on top of retail price for shipping?
frozen_cpu_shipping.jpg

For CPU cooling only, imho it's much easier to just get a kit that includes everything.
It's also "much easier" to buy a pre-built Dell or HP computer system. Should we do away with the hardware and modding sections of the forum and direct link to OEM's ? I'm pretty sure if "much easier" was at the top of nik's list (s)he would probably opt for the stock Intel HSF. Just sayin' ;)

Point taken, but I'm simply recommending to start with a kit and maybe build off of it rather than shop around for all kinds of parts. You don't know the OP's experience with liquid cooling and neither do I, so it's safer to recommend something that's easier to work with. Not only are kits practical but they offer new users a good foundation to work from. Sure, it's not rocket science or anything close, but diving right into a pile of misc. parts may yield some issues for a new user.

That's partly the reason I used the Swiftech kit as an example. It's one of the few kits that can be added to, modified or upgraded without any headaches-it's also cheaper than buying all the components seperately.
My problem with kits is that they tend to be too proprietry in nature. They don't lend themselves to upgrading or integrating extra componentry, they are expensive for what amounts to medium-high end air cooling, and have crappy pumps with outlandish flow rates but little pressure.
I'll agree there is definitely a learning curve involved, but that is the case for building your system as opposed to buying pre-built as well. It shouldn't be beyond most tech minded people to install so long as the poster has enough knowledge of layout/inertia, flow direction, loop air bleeding, leak testing before fitting etc. So like everything regarding building a system it comes down to asking the questions and RTA's
As a point of interest I can't find any decent all-in-one watercooling kits available for sale currently in the UK. I originally looked for the Swiftech H2O kits, but they either aren't available or not in stock, and I certainly wouldn't recommend a Tt (because it's a Thermaltake), Larkooler (no better than an good air cooler) or CM Aquagate (no compatibility with LGA1366).

That's partly the reason I used the Swiftech kit as an example. It's one of the few kits that can be added to, modified or upgraded without any headaches-it's also cheaper than buying all the components seperately.

+1, I love my Swiftech kit :)

To be honest, I haven't assembled any 100% custom liquid systems; I haven't used any other kits to compare to the one I own--but I know for a fact that Swiftech implements high quality components in all of their kits. To me, that's more important than anything (save for performance of course) and you NEED quality stuff when you're looking to liquid cool your PC. You want stuff that isn't going to break after 6 months and is easily replaceable. Whether or not this is cheap depends on what you're looking to buy.

As for customization and integration goes, it's a pain in the a** to do with any liquid cooling system that is already assembled and operational. Swiftech does offer a lot of extras though, and there are many waterblocks and other components that are compatible with their systems. You just need to make sure that everything is clamped properly and that you take the necessary steps before priming and using the system.

Back