Weekend game deals: Halloween madness

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Who knew game dealers were so festive? Just about every major digital distributor is celebrating Halloween by knocking as much as 75% off select titles. Valve has reduced a handful of its most popular games by 50%, including Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress 2, and dozens of other games on Steam have been discounted as well. Meanwhile, Direct2Drive offers 15% off on all horror games via coupon code "kreepy" and EA has slashed 50% off Bad Company 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2, and Dead Space.

Steam
Left 4 Dead $9.99 (50% off)
Left 4 Dead 2 $9.99 (50% off)
Team Fortress 2 $9.99 (50% off)
BioShock $4.99 (75% off)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Bundle $9.99 (75% off)
Overlord Complete Pack $7.49 (75% off)
Aliens vs Predator $9.99 (50% off)
Devil May Cry 4 $9.99 (50% off)
Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War titles 50% off
Dead Space $9.99 (50% off)
Resident Evil 5 $14.99 (50% off)
More...

Direct2Drive
Preorder Call of Duty Black Ops and get 20% off any other COD title
All horror games 15% off via coupon code "kreepy"

Impulse
Amnesia: The Dark Descent $9.99 (50% off)
Sins of a Solar Empire $8.95 (55% off)
Resident Evil 5 $14.99 (50% off)
Dead Space $9.99 (50% off)
Devil May Cry 4 $9.99 (50% off)
Penumbra Collection $10.00 (50% off)
AI War: Fleet Command $9.99 (50% off)

EAStore
EA Halloween sale, 50% off various titles including:
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 $14.97
Mass Effect $9.97
Mass Effect 2 $9.97
Dead Space $9.97

Games for Windows
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin $4.99 (75% off)

Good Old Games
Halloween-themed Activision games 20% to 40% off

Permalink to story.

My recommendations:

Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Team Fortress 2
Bioshock
Dead Space
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Sins of a Solar Empire
Resident Evil 5
Mass Effect 1 & 2

Don't bother:
Aliens vs. Predator
F.E.A.R. 2

The rest I haven't played and can't comment on. Maybe someone else? :)

Awesome deals - too bad I already own most of the things I want off this list. Gonna recommend it to my buddies though.

To bad i already own most of these games. I bet i have 10 or so games that i bought from steam sales and haven't even played them yet.

My Recommendations:
Musts:
L4D2
TF2
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 + Expansion (Chaos Rising)

Shoulds:
L4D
Bioshock
Worms Reloaded (on Steam)
Plants vs. Zombies (on Steam)
F.E.A.R. 2

If you have extra moneys:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Bundle
Devil May Cry 4
Overlord Pack

Don'ts:
Uhhh... I guess the rest of the games I haven't played.
I don't strictly dislike any of the games that I have (which are on the above list)

I'd like to know what people are buying!
I'm going to buy F.E.A.R. 2. I don't own it but I haven't played through a lot of it and I'd like to finish it.

Seeing things like this makes me wish I played more games. It seems my PC time has diminished to almost nothing in the last few years. I sure do miss it, but I've got other things that occupy my time now anyway.

hello ...

i already bout L4D 1 & 2 some times ago & was cheaper ;) ...i'm so mad now steamy site pushing PvsZ for less 5$, OK i bought it less 10$ some 3 months ago & worth every penny.

happy Halloween & have fun :p

cheers!

I just made my friend buy l4d2. Now I can finally play with people I actually know (l4d players are usually nice, but how fun the game is is really dependent on who you play with).
Some comments:
DOW 2 should have been for $10 (or even $5) instead of $15. I dont want to seem greedy but the norms that steam sales have established force me to this conclusion.

I strongly recommend people buy the stalker bundle. Stalker shadow of Chernobyl is a very good game (however you must install the complete 2009 mod in order to fully enjoy the game), and call of pripyat is supposed to be good as well. I did not buy the bundle because I already own Shadow of Chernobyl and will instead wait for the individual prices to be on sale during the winter sale. However, the Stalker games are not for everyone, so research before you buy.

Bioshock for $5 is really good. I bought it for $13 on a previous steam sale.

$10 for ME 2 is utterly awesome even if it is not on steam. I bought it for $20 on a steam sale not too long ago (maybe EA Week or Pearls of Summer, cant remember)and I thought that was a great price.

I am considering buying Devil May Cry 4 (not sure, it really is a console game after all) and maybe BFBC2. $15 is a good price for BC2, but it might drop to $10 during another big sale, leading me to decide to wait.

I must say I agree with Treeski, L4D2 and DOW2 are MUST HAVE games.

TF2 is something I have not wanted to buy since I don't want to stay stuck on my PC more than I already do.

Oooh something you must know, is the Warhammer 40.000 Dawn of War 2 and expansion are just 1 day offer.

Steam is excellent. Always liked it. Still puts pressure on the wallet but its alot better than being a 100% pirate.

I would recommend any source game. Valve like to throw quite a few updates and free DLCs at them.

Halloween now, then Black Friday and Christmas. That's what I call shopping!
Probably gonna grab TF2 finally. And as others recommended before, L4D2 is a must. 140 hours and counting :)

Thinking about getting AI War, I'm only worried that I won't get 4.0 instantly. The developer doesn't seem to offer a discount on his site, perhaps that'll come later.

Back