Weekend Open Forum: Are flagship smartphones overpriced?

midian182

Staff member

Flagship smartphones don’t come cheap. When nothing but the absolute best high-end device will do, expect to pay a heavy premium. But are the prices spiraling out of control?

The Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus were released in the US today. And while both phones have received glowing reviews, they’re $100 more expensive compared to the launch prices of the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. The iPhone 8, meanwhile, is expected to cost around $1000 for some versions.

A couple of recent articles have highlighted the price of these smartphones. First was the story of an engineer who built the (admittedly last gen) iPhone 6s using spare parts for just $300. There’s also the Xiaomi Mi 6, yet another handset that features components found in flagship devices (in this case, it’s the S8/S8+’s Snapdragon 835 processor) for a fraction of the cost; it starts at just $360.

For this weekend open forum, we’re asking what you think about the price of flagship smartphones. Are manufacturers taking advantage of people’s compulsion to own the latest handsets? Is it a simple fact that increasingly advanced tech will always result in higher prices? Or is everything just getting more expensive? Whatever your thoughts, let us know in the comments below.

Image credit: ConceptsiPhone

Permalink to story.

No. Flagship phones are well priced. I can't possibly imagine why people would want them cheaper. At the current prices, they're practically disposables. I buy new phones every couple months or so. Hell, I usually buy two of them so I have a creative way to talk to myself.

Is that a serious question? Does he buy his own phone or is Daddy still supplying it too? I'm guessing it was just another slooooow news day at the main desk and we're recycling last years questions .........

Yes they are, some people will always be willing to pay a premium price for a current flagship model purely for the bragging rights and manufacturers will allways take advantage of that. I prefer to buy previous model flagships, that way I'm getting a good quality phone that does what I want without having to pay the inflated price.

Yes, over prices, and in many cases they're over-engineered to maintain those prices. It's high time the media called it out.

I know this question gets rolled out right before every major launch, and just as it was last year and the year the short answer is, "it depends on how big the flag is on your flagship". To elaborate:

Just like many cars, phones are one of those things where you pay a massive premium for top of the line vs the standard package. The extra bells and whistles for the deluxe model are almost never worth the extra money. Same goes for high-end prebuilt computers: while you'd be hard-pressed to build a $400 Wal-Mart PC for less than retail you can easily undercut the gaming brands like Origin with a home-built rig. Sadly, we don't get have the option to piece together brand new cars and phones from aftermarket parts (well, maybe you could do it with a car, but I doubt it). The smartest move when it comes to phones, IMHO, is to buy the previous gen top-o'-the-line model, which will typically go for a little less than the current entry level flagship does. You'll have a lot of reviews available so you can make an informed decision. If nothing in last year's lineup strikes your fancy then the safest bet is to stick with what you have until you have a legit reason to upgrade. Let's be honest: most of us would be just fine with an iPhone 5 or SG5. In fact, I prefer both of them to their successors.

Choices. If you can't afford it look elsewhere but cheap means there will be always compromises. I always look for support and customer service of a product before plunging a lot of money.

As for the question, I believe they are overpriced but I still keep buying them as my I have a good contract and incentives so I dont care about the upfront cost. If techspot can build a flagship phone for 400 and have a great service and support then why not but I found it impossible they would survive selling a flagship 400dollar phone.

This is a trivially easy question.

If sales are poor and inventory is backing up, the flagship phone is overpriced.

If sales are meeting expectations, the flagship phone is not overpriced.

If sales are exceeding the manufacturer's ability to produce sufficient quantities fast enough to meet demand, the flagship phone is underpriced.

Of course. What kind of ridiculous question is this? Thankfully I have the contacts to be able to buy them unlocked and carrier free at wholesale prices. That helps a lot.
With the Galaxy S8 costing around $700 retail, I should be able to pick one up at about for $500.

NO.

If you are willing to pay $1000 for a top model, that means the phone plays an important part in your life. Such a phone will keep you going for not less than 2 years on average.

So if after 2 years you have to spend another $1000 for an upgrade,... that's $500 a year on your most important productivity / contact tool, that ain't much really.

Last edited:
I`d say it`s technology I`d barely dreamt of ten years ago so it`s ok. Their price is dictated by the market, so as long as people keep buying them the price is right.

Hell yes. especially when you live in places where there are no phone contracts available. but I'd gladly pay for overpriced flagship phone, than pay overpriced telecommunication services. agree?

They are overpriced but at the same these phones pack the most advance technology and aesthetics in our packets and 'COSUMERS' finds this 'COOL'

Yes they are overpriced. In North America anyway.

The most I've ever paid was $400 for a used Note II....
I just picked up an unlocked LG G4 for $200cdn and LOVE IT.

Paying $500 for a phone isn't my thing.

Back