Weekend Open Forum: Most memorable videogame boss fights

Jos

Staff

Boss fights have been a staple of video games since the beginning. Whether you play something as seemingly innocent as Mario or a game that scares the bejesus out of you. At the end of a level or the game itself, you’re likely to come face to face with an especially big, bad and mean character that’ll put your skills to the test. When done right, boss battles can really make beating a game that much more rewarding.

In this Weekend Open Forum we want to know: what are some of the most memorable boss fights you’ve endured? It doesn’t matter if it’s on PC or consoles, and it certainly doesn’t need to be recent, as long as you enjoyed sending them to hell piece by piece -- probably after facing defeat yourself a dozen times first.

Bonus video: The Video Game Bosses' Lament

Permalink to story.

There are many memorable boss fights, but for me the most memorable is the three stage final boss fight on Final Fantasy XI before finally facing off against Kefka. If you didn't build up your characters properly or you chose the wrong players you were in for a world of hurt, especially when Kefka starts off the final battle with the instant first move, Fallen Angel. If you didn't have at least Celes or Terra in your party getting everyone in your party healed was a difficult feat.

I have to say I think you are thinking of Final Fantasy VI not XI=11. But I agree the kefka fight is epic and also one of the best bosses and baddies to ever grace video games!!

Every boss in the zelda series, Darksiders deserves a mention too.

Awesome thread btw :)

the dragon in every level end in nintendo's super mario brothers :)
(yeah, I'm THAT old)

The fight with Shredder and his twin in TMNT, the difficulty, the music, the pace, everything is perfect!

The Green Dragon in Megaman 2, be chased by something that big in that time was incredible.

- Ma

<p>I have to say I think you are thinking of Final Fantasy VI not XI=11. But I agree the kefka fight is epic and also one of the best bosses and baddies to ever grace video games!!</p>

You're right, it is VI, but that's what happens when you've been up since 4am. :)

The only boss I ever beat w/o using a cheat code was the hitler in the robot outfit in the original wolfenstein 3D series. LOL, other than that, god mode baby.
I just like to see how the cut scene ends.

Not much of a gamer outside of FPS/MMOs but for me.

Ulduar WoW: Algalon 25 He Feeds On Your Tears, Yogg +0, Mimiron, Flame Lev when it came out.
ICC: LK25hc

Prior to that in late 90s, not many games since back then wasn't a huge gamer, not until 2007 when I started gaming for serious. But Crash Bandicoot was fun ^^

Yuffie Kisaragi vs. Godo Kisaragi (Father). I didn't level up at the time of the battle and every time I'd hit him I'd literally take of just a few points. He kept healing and so did I. The battle honestly took at least a good 45-60 minutes. At least. Once I finally finished it felt like the most accomplished I had ever done. It was pretty damn epic if you ask me.

I have many more. You see I'm a huge RPG fan and RPG fans are always taking on Boss Battles of epic proportions aren't we?

For the old times I would say contra each level had a tough boss in the end.
More recently assassin's creed 1 loved the final ending fight was pretty challenging.

Back