Weekend Open Forum: What CPU powers your computer?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

open forum cpu intel amd chip processor desktop notebook wof overclock

With Broadwell and Skylake desktop CPUs expected to launch next quarter, the urge to upgrade my computer has never been stronger.

I’ve been contemplating such a move for the better part of a year but the truth of the matter is, my Core i5-2500K “Sandy Bridge” CPU – even at stock clock speeds – still feels plenty snappy. Much of that has to do with the fact that I have a fast PCIe-based solid state drive, but I digress.

With this week’s open forum, we’d like to know what CPU you have in your main computer. AMD or Intel? Is it overclocked? Are you due for an upgrade? Let us know in the comments section below!

Permalink to story.

Got an i5-2500k in my gaming computer, and a C2Q Q8200 in my home server. Because of the small enclosures they are in I have not overclocked them, with the watercooled 2500k being in a Prodigy case stuffed to the gills, and the Q8200 is in a 2U rack case.

Not sure about the server, but I know with Star Citizen in the distant horizon, I'm very compelled to upgrade around the end of the year. This is driven less by my CPU and more by my graphics card (watercooled GTX 570) and memory, which I only have 8GB.

edit: oh yeah, and my XPS 12 has an i5-4210.

Last edited:
Main rig, i7 930 @ 4.0GHz 24/7 (HT/on/191X21@1.200V).
HTPC, 720 X3 BE @ 3.6Ghz.
Laptop, i5-2430M (Love Turbo Sandy !).
Phone, Snapdragon 600 @ 1.9GHz.

I have an Intel Core i5 760 (Lynnfield, first generation) I bought in Jan 2011. It performs pretty well but after 4 years I think it may be time to upgrade. I like to keep my PC updated; I've bought 3 graphics cards in 4 years and an SSD on 2013.

It would also be good to have acces to SATA 3, USB 3, PCIe 3, etc.

I'm running a Core i5 2550k, turbo boost off, all 4 cores at 4ghz running just fine with a Cooler Master V8

I have a 2600k Sandy Bridge. Alll I can say is that's the longest lifespan of a CPU I ever saw. This is a beast, even this old. It's cooled by a noctua DH14, running at 4,7ghz on boost, and I think I'll get at least another 12months from it, if not even more. I'm a hardcore gamer and knows what to upgrade; SSD, GPU. The CPU usually last three GPUs steps for me. This one could last 4 GPUs steps.

My recent build (December '14) has a Haswell i5-4690K in it, I've not OCed it yet, was planning to do that if it ever became a bottleneck (as of yet, no chance!), and I expect I'll be safe with it for many years. :)

I've got an i7 4770K from Nov '13 in my main rig.
Quite a beast, but haven't done any serious OC to it, just brought it to 4GHz.

Also have an i5 4690K in another PC around the house.
Did not take it through its paces yet.

My old Acer Timeline has an ULV processor from Intel, forgot the exact number, think it is a SU9400.

Never owned an AMD-powered PC, but I do recommend them to people on a tight budget.

Core 2 Duo E8500. This plus my GTX 480 are enough to handle my existing game library (except BF3 multiplayer - the GPU was barely idling but the CPU usage was maxed out, and I still only got 20-25 FPS, even when I overclocked to 3.6 GHz).

I've been looking at high-end Core i5, but having trouble scraping up the $400 or so for a new CPU, mobo, and RAM.

I5 4570S in my main rig.

Still have a C2D E6600 around in the house for others to use it when needing basic tasks.

I've had a I3-2100 and Radeon HD 6670 for around two years now but when I finally do upgrade I'm buying everything again and of course a new awesome case. But as far as my current setup goes my graphics card is the biggest bottleneck.

Fx-6300

16GB 1600MHz Dual Channel

HD5750

*recent price cut on 290x looks yummy... :)

4790k, 2600k, Q9650, E8600, E8400, Pent 4 - 3ghz. All still in daily use by someone in our home.

Intel 990x @3.7
24 gigs ram
Intel 730 SSD 240 gig
Intel 320 SSD 180
RAID Raptors HTZ's
Corsair 110i loop
GTX 780's SLI
1000w Corsair HX PSU

Runs great.... and has for years

Core 2 Duo E8500. This plus my GTX 480 are enough to handle my existing game library (except BF3 multiplayer - the GPU was barely idling but the CPU usage was maxed out, and I still only got 20-25 FPS, even when I overclocked to 3.6 GHz).

I've been looking at high-end Core i5, but having trouble scraping up the $400 or so for a new CPU, mobo, and RAM.

Wow that's some impressive mileage you've gotten from the E8500, I had a GTX 460 with an E8400 and when I upgraded to a Core i5 760 I noticed a really good bump in performance. With a 480 you should notice it even more if you upgrade the CPU, especially in games that use quad core.

4930k with a moderate 4.5 overclock. Any higher and the fans on the radiator become too loud and annoying for daily use.
My wife is running on my old 2600k overclocked to 4.6, on it's second MOBO after the last one had a molex splitter shake loose Pin 1 while moving. The loose 12v pin touched the mobo and went up in flames when powered on, killed the OCZ Revodrive too.

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, underclocked for temp issues right now. Soon as things come in, it's going back to default or a slight overclock. Mostly going to be using this, until I can set aside funds for a replacement build. Been running rather well for a while, until well.. cooler needing a good replacement.

It's hard to scratch together anything, when you're constantly unsure how each month turns out. This was a second hand PC, that I picked up for enough to say the least.. but I'm happy with it so far. Replaced my really out of date G 210, with a 660 about 2-3 years ago and been enjoying things even more. :p

Desktop - E8400, Asus HD7790. It had an HD4870 when it was built (2008?), but it died and was replaced with the 7790.. Was looking to upgrade this year.. maybe I'll wait till the upcoming launch of new intel cpu's. Hopefully the Haswell prices will drop more..

Laptop - I5 4202

My cpu is i7-4790k which I love bought an i7 rig in2009 and AMD 5850 my mate bought it off me and is using playing games and still going very strong so who knows how long it will last.

Back