Weekend Open Forum: What GPU is in your system?

Scorpus

Staff member

open forum gpu wof graphics card weekend open forum

Instead of working on my review for the Lenovo ThinkPad Helix 2014 that I recently received to review, I've instead been reading Steve's excellent reviews of the Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 that just launched. It's a fairly typical $200 graphics card with decent enough performance for the price, and that got me thinking...

Statistics show that Nvidia's GTX x60-series graphics cards are the most popular out there, aside from integrated GPUs such as Intel's HD Graphics solutions. Cards in this $200-250 price range are often very attractive to buyers from a performance-per-dollar perspective, even if they aren't chart toppers.

So what graphics card are you currently running in your system, if any? Have you gone with the popular $200 sweet spot, or do you pack in more beefy hardware? Are you one of the tiny group of people running SLI or CrossFire setups?

In my personal gaming rig I have two AMD Radeon R9 290s in CrossFire, which I like to think is pretty powerful, until I look over and see Steve's monster gaming setup that is...

Permalink to story.

Sitting here with a GTX 660 right now mostly waiting, for a full build before I swap to any new one. Also case limitations overall without removing the drive cage, which isn't a whole lot of actual room. There's no point changing it, unless I went with a small form factor card.

MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 Gaming 4G. Really pleased with it - running everything at max settings and zero sound from it.

MSI nVidia 780 GTX. It was bought to handle StarCraft-II on ultra settings, on a 30" 2560x1600 screen, and it does so nicely.

A couple of GTX 780's at the moment (EVGA GTX Superclocked ACX and Gigabyte GHz Ed.).
Having an internal battle over grabbing a couple of EVGA GTX 980 Classifieds. If I can get a buyer for both 780's I'll do it, if not I'll keep 'em until the next best thing comes down the pike.

7970 clocked at 1200 core/1842 memory. Benches as high or higher than a 780. I have had this card for 3 years and it is by far the best GPU purchase I have ever made.

Waiting for the "Next 7970"...

Radeon R9 290

Mantle every day in BF4 makes for silky-smoothness on max settings. Ready for Freesync!

I jumped on the MSI GTX 980 as soon as they were made available. It's been a great experience. I don't have a 4K monitor, but that DSR thing (running 4K scaled down to 1080p) looks fantastic. I've only tried it with Diablo III and WoW this far, but it works really well.

Have you gone with the popular $200 sweet spot
Yes I have. Although it was 2009 I think when I did it and I'm still using it. A GTX 260 that would probably be woefully under-powered nowadays if I tried to play any games with it.

My machine is SLI Asus GTX 970 STRIX
My older daughter's machine is a Zotac GTX 970
My younger daughter's machine is SLI Asus GTX 680
My wife's machine is an XFX Radeon 5970 Black (I now regret owning XFX as they don't seem to honor their warranty quite often - there's also a second 5970 sitting on the desk but my wife's power supply can't handle a pair of 5970.)

Intel graphics, just sent my video card in for repair. Kinda regretting getting a Nvidia now. The control panel is nothing compared to AMDs and the drivers are annoying.

Currently running overclocked 3-way SLI GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti's in my primary gaming rig. Secondary rig has a stock GTX 660 Ti in it.

I should add, I've combined those with a very nice set of AKG K550 headphones and external sound card, so the fans don't bother me. Keep my feet warm, in fact.

Intel graphics, just sent my video card in for repair. Kinda regretting getting a Nvidia now. The control panel is nothing compared to AMDs and the drivers are annoying.
? Are you confusing the Shadowplay GUI with the actual Control Panel or are you sure?

I have a GTX 670 BTW.

Got a gigabyte 7950 OC to 1100 GPU and 1415 Mem and very happy with it..... runs everything I play at high or maxed. This was my first gigabyte card and very pleased.

Back