Weekend Open Forum: What is your fondest gaming memory?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

open forum wof gaming weekend open forum nes gaming memory

Despite the fact that my interest in gaming has waned as I've grown older, some of my fondest childhood and teenage memories are associated with video games.

Whether it be playing Super Mario Bros. 3, The Legend of Zelda or Baseball on the NES with my cousins as a youngster, participating in a local gaming tournament a few years later, attending LAN parties with friends as a teenager or more recently, striving for achievements in Left 4 Dead, gaming makes up an integral part of my past.

With this week's open forum, we'd like to hear about some of your favorite gaming memories. Feel free to share your experiences in the comments section below!

Permalink to story.

Old things aside, my most recent one would have to be the ending of Crysis 3.
"My name is Laurence Barnes. They called me Prophet. Remember me."
Gave me goosebumps

>cod 4
>pipeline
>doing knife only
>on rooftop where snipers sit
>someone shooting at me from the ground
>no where to go
>jump off roof
>land on his head
>don't take any fall damage
>guy is shooting up
>can't hit me, I'm in a magical cone above his head where he can't shoot me
>goes to reload
>jump off his head
>knife him

that or
>cod 4 again
>shipment
>knife only again
>friend throws c4 at me
>knife C4 mid air
>it blows up
>kills both of us
>I get the kill + a suicide

Mario Kart 64 the first time I beat the final championship. I was fairly unskilled at console games at the time and had to grind it out several times before finally winning the cup. The N64 was my first console and MK64 the first game, so the whole thing was new, fascinating and, at times, infuriating. Haven't had an experience with video games like that since.

Not sure how I would rank my gaming memories, but I fondly remember playing c64 games with my brother and cousins. We're all "old" guys with kids now, but we all still remember those times. Sometime later I played so much super mario world on the snes at a friends house while a guns and roses album was on repeat in the background that to this day when I hear "november rain" I think of riding yoshi. I played a fair bit of games up until unreal 2004 then I lost interest and got real busy. now I'm just as busy but I started back up with crysis 2/3 and battlefield 3. crysis just blows my mind, and while battlefield 3 isn't is amazing graphically, it's options and improvements over 2004 era games like unreal tourney are more vast than I was expecting. fun stuff.

Playing Manhunt on Playstation 2. I don't care what anyone says, that game was crazy and downright terrifying. I wish it could be remade again but I digress.

I have a very distinct memory from that game. I was playing with a headset microphone on. I was hiding in a dark corner and an enemy was nearby searching for me. The NPC's in that game said some pretty wild things. One of the NPC's balked me out of hiding. The NPC said something to the tune of "There he is, get that f*cker!" The thing is, that the NPC hadn't actually detected me. The NPC lied. But I had the headset on, and I physically jumped and said "Sh*t!" to myself, which was detected by the headset microphone and actually did alert the NPC who then shot and killed me.

I just remember shaking my head thinking "F*ck this game is crazy"

Manhunt is still easily one of the best games I have ever played. Unfortunately it will likely never be made again with all the focus on ratings and "the children".

Either Pokemon on my gameboy as a child, or my countless matches for my Counter-Strike teams.

The many times I sat to play that just one hour of Diablo II before going to bed and suddenly noticed the sun rising out of the corner of my eye.

Having the high score on every pinball game in the local arcade (Bally, Williams, and Gottlieb tables).
Computer gaming...finishing every quest and collecting every quest item in the STALKER mod Narodnaya Solianka. Six months where it was the only PC game I played. Bad machine translations from Russian, multiple restarts from much earlier hard saves to salvage broken quest, faction alliances, and tasks thanks to multiple complex and convoluted gameplay paths (not linear corridor shooter that's for sure) that read like a half dozen Russian novels spliced together.
Finishing the game, I felt like a jittery, numb version of this guy...
1392216842371.jpg

A few main milestones that I have fond memories of...

1. When I was in my single digit age (no idea exactly, sometime in the 80's) playing Super Mario Bros. on the NES at my Grandmothers house and kicking my legs every time I would jump with Mario.

Lots of NES and SNES playing until...

2. I got into PC gaming in the late 90's and the first time I logged into a multiplayer match of Rainbow Six with my night vision and MP5 handy. This was defining for me and cemented my PC gaming addiction to this day and a primary reason why I missed a lot of Playstation 2 era stuff. Diablo 2 and its expansion were also huge defining moment(s) as well.

3. Fast forward to 2004 and the closed/open beta and release versions of World of Warcraft had me by its Kung Fu grip until about mid 2005 when I disliked the battleground implementations that ruined (In my mind) the open world pvp and game community in general. I also found out that 40 man raids weren't for me and I quit playing entirely. That 6-7 months of gaming with my clan, world pvping, etc was truly some of the most fun I have ever had across any game in my life.

Since 2004 there hasn't been anything that has blown me away as far as multiplayer gaming goes. A lot of really great singleplayer games.

I was born in 1983, my fondest memories are:

1980's: Playing games on an Amstrad PC1512: Tennis (1985), Pack Man (sic.) (1983), PC Pool (1984), Space Commanders (1983), Golden Axe (1989) and "Handheld electronic games" (think Game & Watch).

90-95: Playing arcade machine games (Final Fight, Mortal Kombat I/II/III, Afterburner II, OutRun, Terminator 2, The Simpsons, etc.) and Nintendo Game Boy (Tetris, Metroid II, Nemesis II, etc.).

93-97: Playing Mega Drive/Genesis (Sonic 1/2, Streets Of Rage I/II/III, Street Figher II, Virtua Racing, etc.) and Super Nintendo (Super Mario All-Stars (1/2/3), Killer Instinct).

1997-2000: The Windows PC era begins: Doom II, Carmgeddon 2, SiN, Tomb Raider III, Unreal, Moto Racer, Interstate '76, etc. (on Windows 95 and 98 with a 3dfx 3D graphics accelerator I got in '98).

2001-2015: Just more Windows XP/7 gaming. To this day I'm still an avid PC gamer.

Last edited:
So many memories:
Playing Galaga at the local 7-11 and trying to get my initials in at the top of the scoreboard early 80's. Remember fondly playing Sword of Vermillion and Toejam and Earl on the Sega Genesis in the early 90's and playing a strategy word game on a local bulletin board. Ultima Online in the late 90's and I still mess around with it on Oblivion Shard now. Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 throughout the 90's caused me to miss a lot of my life, but they sure were fun especially when they introduced the level editors and we were able to play homemade levels of our own and others. Still gaming on the pc (titanfall, ultima, need for speed etc.) and shooters on the xbox 360, and one of the best times recently was a lan party I hosted at my house with my kids and nieces and nephews. All good times! and still making memories.

I said halo 3 earlier, but I think ill change it to my first pokemon play through. It was Pokemon red and my only significant pokemon was my level 100 charizard. after losing to John (my rival's name and non-coincidentally, my brother's) at least 20 times I finally beat him with just the Charizard, landing a critical hit on blastoise else I would have died. I distinctly remember yelling and a few tears of joy.

Between the eyes head shot of perimeter fence guard from berlin airport control tower in the highest of high settings on sniper elite (original version)! Can't just remember but probably a mile away!!

My fondest is probably Halo 3 custom games (drive or die, trash compacter etc.) over XBL with my friends which was really fun, I also met some really good internet friends that I still speak to to this day playing it too. My most recent fondest memory is playing Day-Z mod Overpoch with lots of IRL friends, I've had Arma 2 and OA for nearly 2 years and haven't played any of it, about a week ago I downloaded all the stuff that I needed to play it and so I jumped on Skype with some hardcore IRL friends who play a lot of it. They head from base in a motorbike to come pick me up from the coast and I see a black hawk helicopter fly above me and I waste all my p38 pistol rounds firing at it and it flies off, my friend picks me up and we head back to base when the same heli I shot at earlier flew parallel to us and starts making passes over us firing mounted guns at us we are weaving around barely avoiding death when the chopper gets bored and flies off. So epic, had so much fun that night and almost every night since then.

Almost all the games I've played have had at least one memorable moment but here are just a couple of my top ones:

1: Beating Mike Tyson's Punch Out (&) Contra on the NES when I was 8 years old
2: Finishing Myst
3: Completing Dark Souls
4: 100% for Assassin's Creed 1, 2, 3 & Brotherhood
5: Logging in 300+ hours for Skyrim

I still am an avid Gamer from when I started playing in the early 80's to today. And I constantly look for games that are challenging.

Back