Weekend Open Forum: What is your New Year's resolution?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

We’re just a few days away from ringing in the New Year which of course means we all survived the Mayan apocalypse. And with that global catastrophe averted, it’s time to look ahead to 2013 with a fresh start. For many, that means trying to stick to a New Year’s resolution which as we all know, is often times easier said than done.

open forum new years new years resolution

For 2013, I plan to try and do a better job of managing work and free time – something I’ve traditionally had a tough time doing. I’m essentially a workaholic and find it hard to take time away from work to enjoy personal activities or to just sit back and relax. But in the same instance, I also have some work-related goals that I hope to accomplish next year so as you can see, it’ll be quite the balancing act.

With this week’s open forum, we would like to hear about your New Year’s resolution. Do you usually stick with it for very long or give up on it after just a few weeks?

Permalink to story.

In non particular order.

Exercise
Drink more Water
Earlier to Bed
Do more work besides playing games (whether contributing to communities or side jobs)
Build a new computer and go nuts at modding the case
Educate my self further in Web Development
Create/Finish design ideas (website(s))

Proud to say I exercise thanks to the Air Force making me and teaching me how wonderful exercise is. I quit last new years and feel better than ever, I learned the importance of drinking water (a canteen an hour) at boot camp and carry a bottle of water to work with me and drink powerade from the soda fountain at lunch.. I goto bed early like an old grand pa.. last night I fell asleep at 6:30pm to Ice age. I built a new Llano rig this year which does the job.. that leaves the major goals:

Get a degree!!!!!!!
Get lost in the mountains of Montana

*Edit*

I quit smoking last year not exercising lol

I'd like to spend more time building computers, and less time wastefully surfing the internet. I also plan on spending a lot of time on my new treadclimber, and getting rid of the gut.

Lol. exercise for me too...
I'm ~10kgs. shy from my ideal body weight.
before the holidays, I'm just 5kgs. short.
damn food trips! :)

that exercise regimen includes walking/running my two dogs around the perimeter of my house.

1. Build my first system using Intel Processor. I have always built AMD systems since I am a cheap SOB. I want to see what I am missing out on.

2. Build ESXi Server (Always wanted to do this)

3. Get a better paying job

4. Get a sluttier girlfriend who puts out more so I can cut down on the pron

5. Create my first RPG using Unity

6. Learn advanced networking such as VLAN, VPN, Multicasting

7. Programming side: Learn Python, WebGL, Zend, etc......

Save up and go on a all-out one to remember holiday. I haven't even been abroad for 10 years and 2013 is the year to change that.

What I believe was the only resolution for this year that I couldn't take on... learn to play the guitar.

I'd like to make an honest dent in all the games I've purchased through all the damn Steam, Green Man Gaming, GameFly, etc. sales....

Done:
March (?), 2009: Quit Marijuana - Successful
January 1st, 2011: Quit Tobacco - Successful
January 1st, 2012: Quit Alcohol - Successful
November 2nd, 2012: Start P90X - Now done 57 days (following exercise and diet)

To Do:
January 1st, 2013: Continue P90X

1. Build my first system using Intel Processor. I have always built AMD systems since I am a cheap SOB. I want to see what I am missing out on.

2. Build ESXi Server (Always wanted to do this)

3. Get a better paying job

4. Get a sluttier girlfriend who puts out more so I can cut down on the pron

5. Create my first RPG using Unity

6. Learn advanced networking such as VLAN, VPN, Multicasting

7. Programming side: Learn Python, WebGL, Zend, etc......
Cut down on the pron? Are you crazy? -_-

8. make an account

I'll start to read more articles and reviews. I'm not good at comments and getting along with users who's smarter than I am. So the only way is to enhance my critical thinking.

Lastly, maybe back off a little bit from gaming. I'm addicted, and it's time for me to kick that habit.

Hey, if you got the time for gaming, I'd hold on to it before something eats into it and you might have little to no playing time left :'(

Hey, if you got the time for gaming, I'd hold on to it before something eats into it and you might have little to no playing time left :'(

Well good. I assume that's how you want to change the year in gaming? Thanks mate, cheers.

Usually mine is to not have one next year, but I think I will make mine different this year. I resolve to get a job, move out and finish my associates.

Back