Weekend Open Forum: What's your favorite current game with the lowest system requirements?

William Gayde

Staff

While there are plenty of beautiful games that essentially require supercomputers to run, many modern games aren't that difficult to play. Some of today's most popular eSports titles can run on even the most basic gaming computers at reasonable frame rates.

That got us thinking. Bring out your potato rigs because this week we're looking for your favorite modern computer game that has the lowest system requirements. It has to be a game you play today, so older favorites won't count.

Let us know if you're a fan of top-down games, turn based strategy games, or if minesweeper is all your computer can muster. Not sure of any games that can run on your computer? We have a huge list of easy to run games on the forums!

Permalink to story.

Wow, really??? We running out of "Open Forum" subjects??? Since you asked, um Solitaire!

How should "potato" be defined? GPU? GPU/CPU? OS? CPU/GPU/OS/RAM? Or some kind of benchmark?

I am happily playing Fallout 2 on a dual core 64bit, 2GB and Win10 .

Great game.

Age of Empires II: HD Edition is mine. I don't know the official requirements but it should run on a single core with 2gb of ram without issue.

Solitare for MS DOS. Requiremets are 80286 CPU @ 8 Mhz, 302Kbyte available Base Memory. No specific graphics needed (Monochrome to VGA is supported) - quite playable in DOSBOX in Windows10. :) - My I5-7300HQ must be bored.... and Yes, I Play it today. I know its not modern.

Age Of Empires 2 which I altså have installed runs perfectly on Windows10. I used to play it fluently on a i3-3217u with integrated graphics. So system requirements are low.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quake Live is basically a game of the year version of Quake III Arena, and it runs out just about anything.

I haven't had a "current" low system spec game since time in memorial but if I had to choose it would be Tetris, Pong, Asteroid, Space Invaders etc. They were enjoyable in their day but so would've domesticating T-Rex's have been had we been around at that time.

For both "Modern" and "lowest requirement" (assuming you mean the easiest to run games you can find that's made in the last few years without reposting a ton of obvious 90's / early 2000's old-school stuff), I quite like Spiderweb Software's RPG's (Avadon, Avernum, etc) as well as Wadjet Eye Games point & click adventures (Blackwell Quintology, Gemini Rue, Primordia, Resonance, Shardlight, Technobabylon, etc).

I've been thinking about something similar. I'm currently playing Metroid II for a Game Boy emulator on my Nintendo DS. Before that, Mario Land, also Tetris. The reason why is because the battery last much longer when playing it. And in the past week I've moved it to my Surface Pro II. And what I love about it is that after playing for a while, the computer is still very cool.

I like the idea that I'm enjoying the game (I don't just play games to complete it, but to understand it at a deeper level), enjoying it like any modern game, yet it's using up no resource.

Modern games, I also bought Sonic Mania, system requirements are very low, but the surface does get hot.

Day of Infamy. It uses the Source Engine, so the graphics are not very demanding.
But it is a very good multiplayer game, from the same studio that made Insurgency.

Back