Weekend Open Forum: Windows 8 ditches Aero Glass -- will you miss it?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

In a lengthy blog post, Microsoft has explained some of the logic behind Windows 8's interface. Much of the article discusses Metro, but a sizable chunk focuses on the desktop environment, including some significant changes that haven't been revealed in the Consumer Preview yet. Most notably, Microsoft says it's scrapping Aero Glass, the glossy, transparent border introduced with Vista, in favor of a flatter style that's less distracting:

"In the end, we decided to bring the desktop closer to the Metro aesthetic, while preserving the compatibility afforded by not changing the size of window chrome, controls, or system UI. We have moved beyond Aero Glass -- flattening surfaces, removing reflections, and scaling back distracting gradients...We want desktop windows to continue to feel light and airy, and we want a chrome style that doesn't distract from the content of the app."

wof windows aero glass

Although I hope there's still a way to customize colors (the white default is too bright for my taste), I don't think I'll miss Glass at all. The transparency has distracted or otherwise misled me many times. A new track might play on Foobar or my desktop background might change and I mistake the activity for a new email or instant message. What say you? Is Aero Glass a tacky remnant or a reassuring familiarity of Windows Vista and 7?

Permalink to story.

Since the two applications I use the most are Chrome and steam I don't think it will make much of a difference for me. I hated the GUI in XP so the aero glass in vista was a welcomed change. I'll most likely stick to 7, it seems like they're just changing things to change them. It's a tablet OS, not a desktop one.

I won't miss aero at all. When you have many many windows up on dual monitors, it get annoying trying to select the correct semi-transparent window header to move it. Solid is much better if you're trying actually get work done.

why not bring back windows 3.1 it had a lot of flat chrome toolbars. or windows 95. call me shallow, but isn't look and appeal part of the experience that we modern users look for? you don't see apple going back to OS 9 or OS 8. if pure productivity is all you look for, go with a windows server OS or better use Linux. if they really do go back to the old archaic look of flat boxy look, I will never switch to windows 8. and if they phase out windows 7, I'll just dump windows altogether and install Linux or OSX.

Looks like shite to me, but it doesn't really matter since my hard drive will never have 8 on it. MS is like intel with it's tick tock releases. Vista tick, 7 tock, 8 tick... I'll wait for the tock thanks.

I like the look of win8, and it's about time for a change so no I won't miss it. I would imagine it won't be long before someone like Stardock bring out some aero mod for those that really want it back.

I actually enjoy the glass because it's easier on the eyes and I already stare at vast, stark fields of white or black while working on documents or CAD'ing. Gradients, breaks in color and form, and rounded corners help not burn our eyes or mind out. The glass was also thematic in that, well, this is Windows, not Microsoft OS VI 6.1 Vienna.

If I wanted to, I could always turn off transparency, or switch to the classic look, or try to hack in another style. I had options, and I think taking away options is a step back and disappointing to people who actually customize their interface as intended.

I get that it'll give a different visual identity from Windows 7; not liking Metro, I would essentially just use the Windows 8 Desktop, which begs the question why I would move from Windows 7 in the first place. But losing even the look for a Desktop UI that Microsoft clearly is trying to move away from completely... well, I'm running out of reasons why I'd want to do my work on Windows 8.

Of course, I dislike flat depthless designs, overuse of stark rectangles and squares, and insipidly simple color schemes in general. But I think trying to push everyone onto the latest trends is like pretending everyone's a hip, trendy young adult with the same minimalist aesthetic tastes.

This is why I avoided the Apple culture to begin with.

<light-hearted snark>I think there's something to be said that you don't know the difference between foobar changing tracks and an e-mail notification.</light-hearted snark>

<light-hearted snark>I think there's something to be said that you don't know the difference between foobar changing tracks and an e-mail notification.</light-hearted snark>

To be clear, Foobar displays track information in the window border and it's often directly under Postbox. They're both on the furthest end of my secondary display, so all I really see is something blink in my peripheral vision. Activity for a new track and email occurs in the same general area. Also, I keep all sound notifications disabled, so all I have is a visual notification. Granted I can probably tweak Foobar so it doesn't display track information in the window border, but similar things occur in other instances. It was just the easiest example to make.

I actually quite like the transparency, and I've never had any functional problems with it at all. I hope they at least leave an option for transparency. There's no harm in having the option, even if its not the default setting.

I despise it, the glas was really nice and helped ease the boringness of staring at black and white all day. It just looked slick without being overly flashy.

Based on their release-or-die schedules, when's Win9 coming ? 2 years from now ? I might think about moving on from 7 then, but I'm definitely skipping 8 - it seems like a tablet peg for a desktop hole.

Well I had Win8 CP on my laptop for 2 months (just re installed with Win7 Enterprise)

Bottom line, I didn't feel I could be as productive with Win8 vs Win7. So ditching the Aero Glass wont effect me since I wont be upgrading.

I don't understand why MS cant let people have the option to turn all these features (e.g. Metro or Aero Glass) on or off. I guess we wait for release to know for sure.

I like Aero and I despise the new flat "ribbon" look Microsoft wants to apply to everything.

I haven't given Windows 8 an honest shot yet but to be honest, it's looking more and more like my next PC won't be a PC, but a 27" iMac with Ivy Bridge. I'll keep Windows 7 in a Fusion VM and run the tools I need for work (like the VMWare vSphere client) via Unity.

I already do all this on my Macbook Air.

I like windows Aero style much more than XP's blue bar. I have no idea of changing my current OS(Windows 7) to Win 8

One could argue they could keep it, just as they kept Windows classic theme.

They're just changing for the sake of change, to avoid people saying that they're paying for Seven all over again. Whiny internet people succeed again.

So they're planning on making it a no-nonsense interface. Good. That'll help me with the migraines I get when staring at Metro!

The aero theme is what give me an attraction and desire to migrate from Windows XP. Then the simple navigations found in Windows 7 over Windows Vista made the choice to skip Vista an easy decision.

Let me see if I can get this straight. Microsoft has reverted their logo back to what it looked like in Windows 1.0. They are dropping the Start Menu that has been available since Windows 95. The aero style which has been present in the last two version is also being dropped.

Has Microsoft decided they can no longer go forward and need to start over with their OS designs? They seem to be going back to the 90's with their style.

Retro seems to be all the rage these days. With a little bit of luck, we might see an 8 bit version of Windows for the Commodore 64 in the near future. Think I'll just skip this one and see what Windows 9 offers when we get to that point.

The aero theme is what give me an attraction and desire to migrate from Windows XP. Then the simple navigations found in Windows 7 over Windows Vista made the choice to skip Vista an easy decision.

There is probably something to it. I also like my mew OS looking "new" when I install it. Especially when MS is often a step behind Apple's design aesthetic. But I'm hoping that modding Windows 8 will be as easy as prior versions. One of things that I always liked about Windows was that there are going to be tons of software out there to customize your experience.

I'm actually a little excited to bring my desktop from home to school and start messing around with Windows 8 to see if its worth upgrading to or not.

Back