Weekend Open Forum: Your favorite co-op games

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

While I enjoy the heck out of single and competitive multiplayer games, it's hard to match the fun of a well-produced co-op experience in my opinion. There's something particularly engrossing about tackling in-game obstacles with a coordinated effort. Unfortunately, few titles step up to the plate and those that do generally take a halfhearted swing, providing mediocre secondary campaigns and stale survival modes -- assuming you can even work through the connectivity issues that still plague many games.

I've had the best time with indie offerings such as Trine and Shank lately, likely because they're cheaper so I have lower expectations and they're often more conducive to local co-op, eliminating network problems from the equation. I preordered Torchlight II recently and I'm hoping Runic won't disappoint. Portal 2, both Left 4 Dead titles, Rayman Origins and Borderlands are some noteworthy retail releases with competent co-op elements, though the last uses GameSpy for online access which can be a headache.

open forum boxers

Given the ongoing seasonal promotions at Steam and Green Man Gaming, it seems like a great time to list your favorite co-op PC games while there's still a chance for others to get them on sale. Naturally, you're also welcome to share your experience with any other co-op game, new or old, console or PC. As a side note, if you've been on the fence about grabbing Torchlight II, I have a spare copy of the original entry collecting dust. The first person without the game to message me on Steam can have it for free.

Permalink to story.

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. Seriously, I had friends that laughed when I suggested it but once they actually played it in co-op the laughing stopped...

Borderlands was a great game, but the co-op was crap. It didn't even have a roll system for loot. That's just plain terrible.

The best co-op game I've ever played is Resident Evil 5. No other game has even come close.

I absolutely wore Left 4 Dead out before moving to Call of Duty. I tried to get some friends into Forza but that didn't really work.

I guess I'm going to have to be the one to say Super Smash TV then?
HAHA agreed!

I would pick either L4D2, Borderlands, or Diablo. So hard to pick a winner.

Wait a sec....does Minecraft count as Co-op? If so it wins hands down.

I totally LOVE co-op games... but unfortunately I haven't played many as my buds don't always jump on the same games. Left 4 Dead series and Portal 2 are of course great. Diablo 2 was fun stuff.

I just realized I cant think of a single coop game ive played. ever. Maybe I have one or two...

I guess ive played halo 3 co op. and the donkey kong country games. but thats it.

lost planet 2. then portal 2, titan quest, shadowflare, and alot of older games.. oh and the half life decay too.

I have never have had CO-OP experience before, but if I were to give it a shot, I'd go for Battlefield 3, or better MW3.

resistance 2 _______ (unforgettable moments)
resident evil 5 _____ (Good one)
Left4Dead ________ (Funny with friends)

Lots of love for Resident Evil 5 eh? I played some of the original on the PlayStation but I haven't kept up with the series. I thought about grabbing RE5 a while back and I watched some videos to check it out. I thought the combat looked clunky and potentially frustrating, but I might pick it up after all.

Lots of love for Resident Evil 5 eh? I played some of the original on the PlayStation but I haven't kept up with the series. I thought about grabbing RE5 a while back and I watched some videos to check it out. I thought the combat looked clunky and potentially frustrating, but I might pick it up after all.

Same here, from the trailers and stuff I've seen it always looked more actiony than scary though, but maybe worth a buy anyways.

L4D2 - have had a lot of fun with that game even though I'm crappy as hell at it. Have had a lot of fun playing that game with other TS members.

Also a big Unreal Tournament fan, but those folks who play it are few and far between and for whatever reason, the multiplayer on Steam doesn't work. Bummer...a great co-op game.

Resident Evil 5 is so far the best co-op experience I've ever had.
Last week, me and my girl finished Diablo III together, it was also great.
Yesterday, I bought Splinter Cell Conviction to my friend, so that we can play the co-op campaign in lan.

For PC - Borderlands My Buddy and I put around 120 hours together in the game
Dead Island - Really fun co-op
Diablo 3
Global Agenda
Ghost Recon - Advanced Warfighter 1/2
Nation Red
Transformers - War for Cybertron
Warhammer 40k Space Marine
Killing Floor

And you can't mention co-op without mentioning Halo 1,2,3,ODST, Reach AMAZING CO-OP
And Gears of War 1,2,3
Hunted - Demon Forge
Brink - not really great but entertaining for a little while

Back