Weekend tech reading: 1Gbps fiber for $70 in America

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

1Gbps fiber for $70—in America? Yup. American ISPs have convinced us that Internet access is expensive—getting speeds of 100Mbps will set most people back by more than $100 a month, assuming the service is even available. Where I live in Chicago, Comcast's 105Mbps service goes for a whopping $199.95 ("premium installation" and cable modem not included). Which is why it was so refreshing to see the scrappy California ISP Sonic.net this week roll out its new 1Gbps, fiber-to-the-home service… for $69.99 a month. Ars Technica

Judge furious at "inexcusable" P2P lawyering, nukes subpoenas There are three quick steps to angering a federal judge: first, launch the country's largest file-sharing lawsuit against 23,322 anonymous defendants, even though most of them don't live where you filed the suit. Second, request "expedited discovery" in the case, allowing you to quickly secure the subpoenas necessary to go to Internet access providers and turn those 23,322 IP addresses into real names.Third, don't even bother to serve the subpoenas you just told the court were so essential to your case. Ars Technica

How a cheap graphics card could crack your password in under a second I was pointed in the direction of a blog posting talking about the use of GPU processors to launch brute-force attacks on passwords. GPUs are extremely good at this sort of workload, and the price/performance ratio has changed dramatically over the past few years. What might have seemed impossible even 36 months ago is now perfectly do-able on your desktop computer. PCPro

#gamedev: We need to aim higher ...Why is it that game developers are beginning to drown in a culture of fear, or more specifically, a fear of change? Is it because the gaming world has gone too corporate and is no longer exclusive to small teams of genius misfits and creative underdogs? Is it because the demographics of game players -- once made up almost exclusively of teen boys -- has widened to include nearly everyone from 5-50? AltDevBlogADay

Post a picture that 'causes emotional distress' and you could face jailtime in Tennessee Over the last few years, we've seen a troubling trend in various state laws which attempt to come up with ways to outlaw being a jerk online. Many of these are based on politicians and/or the public taking an emotional reaction to something bad happening after some does something online that angered someone else. Techdirt

Amazon sales tax: The battle, state by state Amazon is in the midst of a heated battle with states over whether it should be required to collect sales taxes. While this has been an ongoing debate, the dispute recently escalated as states look to recover deficits coming out of the recession. One way to do this would be through sales taxes. The Street

I.M.F. reports cyberattack led to ‘very major breach’ The International Monetary Fund, still struggling to find a new leader after the arrest of its managing director last month in New York, was hit recently by what computer experts describe as a large and sophisticated cyberattack whose dimensions are still unknown. The NY Times

9 Confessions of a former Geek Squad geek Consumerist reader K. recently ended his 4.5 year tenure as a Geek Squad member at Best Buy. And while he says that he considers his time there to be "generally a positive experience," K. did feel that there is some backstage info the public might want to know. The Consumerist

The checkered past of Groupon's chairman Groupon's largest shareholder and chairman, Eric Lefkofsky, has a back story investors might want to know. CNN

E3 2011 wrap-up VG Cats

Permalink to story.

Where I live (united kingdom), my download speed is 1.5mb/s and my upload is 0.3mb/s.. read it and weep!

One of the main problems in the UK are the speeds are so erratic. You can easily be paying for 20mb/s yet receiving less than half that on your connection.

It keeps being brought up in the news but nothing ever gets done about it.

Guest said:
Where I live (united kingdom), my download speed is 1.5mb/s and my upload is 0.3mb/s.. read it and weep!

Sarcasm, I guess? I have 21mbs dl and 4mbs ul in the U.S.

Currently with Bell on slow 7mbps but will have Videotron 60mbps as of the 27th. 1gbps is just ridiculous, no will allow you to download anywhere close to that speed. But I suppose if you have a family of 40+ connected then it's useful. But you can't argue the price, obviously take the ridiculously high speed of 1gb over paying the same or more for slower.

I bet a million dollars they don't offer unlimited bandwidth with a 1gbps connection at $69 a month, lol.

Internet in Canada sucks badly here : 4 to 6mb/s download and 1mb/s up for $40 with a 150GB bandwidth /month and $2 extra for each additional GB over the bandwidth.

I got 16mbps down 2mbps up comcast connection no data caps :p gotta luv business class internet. No docsis3 over here so stuck with slow download speeds till they decide to upgrade to docsis3 here kinda suxs.

@Guest 07:09 PM: Get Shaw for 200+mbps for under $100 or get Videotron if you're in Quebec. Canada offers great internet, but it can be rather expensive.

One thing BB did to us and most people don't realize is they sold us a 3 year guarantee on a refrigerator we bought there. To our dismay, most credit cards offer 3 year guarantees on ANYTHING purchased on them by default.

One thing BB did to us and most people don't realize is they sold us a 3 year guarantee on a refrigerator we bought there. To our dismay, most credit cards offer 3 year guarantees on ANYTHING purchased on them by default.
Well first Tony, I think this is posted under the wrong news item.

But more importantly, you should read your credit card benefits statement before you orun out and buy something as big as refrigerator.

Well, there does seem to be a pattern developing here; Try this thread instead: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic166380.html

i live in a small town in Canada.
My connection speed is 25Mbps down, 3Mbps up.
no cap.
$80/mo.

Our 3G+ is supposed to bring 104Mbps next year, but i'm betting there's a cost per GB.

Hey be Happy I pay $120 in Australia for 1TB of download but only end up getting speeds up to max 400kb/s and uploads of 60kb/s!!!
our Fiber optics is gonna take 5 more years to install! :(

FML!!!!!!!!! 10Mb is the fastest line in RSA for residential and costs (R1000) 166USD p/m and it is shaped

I'm from Ukraine. I'm just got result from speedtest.net:
Download - 72.73 Mbps
Upload - 34.59 Mbps

u all very lucky i live in trinidad i have a 1mb package only get a few kbs upload for $110 tstt my isp sucks

There's a scary story there about using GPUs to crack passwords. How are we supposed to protect our online accounts ? Put some kind of digital booby trap ? Some notes on the article - the HD 5770 isn't exactly what I would call a cheap graphics card even though prices are definitely lower with the release of the HD 6000 series. Also using the words " GPU processors " does seem redundant since the " P " in GPU stands for processing.

Here in the UK, With BE I am getting 12.4 mb/s Down and 1.2 mb/s Up and is the fastest currently possible on my line, I could have Annex M to get 8.4 mb/s Down and 2.1 mb/s Up but prefer download over upload. Only paying £27 to BE and £11 for the Line! Hopefully will get the full speed 24 mb/s when they (finally) upgrade out exchange from ADSL2 to ADSL 2+ or something even better!

I'm a trini living in Canada.

But I left trinidad way before you guys got "High"speed internet.

Its slow and the price is horrible, but you also live on a island with beaches, only 2 seasons sun and rain, and no last call. You should be outside not sitting inside on the internet its usually 30c+ there every day.

:p

I get 93.73Mbps / 79.52Mbps on speedtest.net

(and this while downloading and uploading a lot og Gigs in the background.)

Using a 100/100Mbit line ... and no stupid caps .. i feel for you americans.. I would not survice with the ISP's you seem to have.

It's nice to live in Sweden some times :0)

http://speedtest.net/result/1339638674.png

Slovakia
FTTB 25MBit
3Mb down
3Mb up
10 €/ month
no FUP, no data cap

Back