Weekend tech reading: 700,000 iPads bought on day one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

New iPad launch-day estimate: 600,000-700,000 sold Even with all the hype that preceded the launch of the iPad — or perhaps because of it — Apple managed once again to blow past expectations. Brainstorm Tech

Apple iPad dropped and tortured Here’s the Story: Apparently, YouTube user THISisCaSpEr bought all three models of the WiFi iPad at a Best Buy at Pittsburgh today. And he decided that smashing the $500 iPad with a baseball bat was "fun". iPadInsider

Netbook sales sag as the iPad arrives Apple's iPad is helping cool the computer industry's netbook fever. Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs has made no secret of his disdain for the popular, inexpensive mini-notebooks. "Netbooks aren't better than anything. They're just cheap laptops," Jobs said at the Jan. 27 launch of the iPad tablet computer in San Francisco. BusinessWeek

Free Office 2010 copies via the Office Excitement Kit Microsoft is gearing up to finalize the next version of the Office System, and the company is expected to introduce special deals to accompany the product’s launch. One such offering is now live. Softpedia

Last, but certainly not least, we've posted a few entertaining videos to the TechSpot blog. One post contains a couple of hilarious Der Untergang recuts, depicting the Fuhrer's reaction to Fermi. The other demos some very impressive PhotoShop technology called content-aware fill, which should help even the most inexperienced users become image-editing pros.

Permalink to story.

Well you expect to see an iPad smashed eventually, just not exactly on opening day. May as well get it done, a lot of people complain but it helps assess a devices durability so you know what to not risk with it.

Meh. If u are super rich and can afford to Smash several Ipads up. Then Y not! I know I would if I was rich. HAHAHAHAHA.

Every time a new device is released, it takes about 2 nano-seconds for some ***** to post on You Tube of them smashing it. Seriously - what do these morons REALLY do for entertainment?

:) They break high-demand items to watch people squirm and rage on the Internet. In some cases, I bet they might even make a few bucks off the stunt too, considering the attention they get.

I guess we are contributing to the phenomenon by posting it here, so consider this the last time we do so. Next time you have money to burn, like the $500 these people spent on an iPad to break it afterwards, consider donating those funds to a relief effort.

Spending $500 to get an iPad and then smash it just to get publicity demonstrates the stupidity of that person. Better uses of that amount of money can go to the help out the homeless, disaster relief, etc.

tengeta said:
Well you expect to see an iPad smashed eventually, just not exactly on opening day. May as well get it done, a lot of people complain but it helps assess a devices durability so you know what to not risk with it.

I'd like to see the electronic device that survives a baseball bat. Durability testing is one thing, this guy was just being an *****.

"Netbooks aren't better than anything. They're just cheap laptops,"

I wonder what he'd have to say about a device like the iPad, if it weren't made by Apple.

I guess the old adage about, "there's a sucker born every minute", is way, way off. I did the math on this, and it appears that there are 486 (give or take) suckers born every minute.

Although I suppose that 700,000 people could be born a minute apart, and Steve Jobs just compressed them into one days worth of suckerdom?, suckerhood?

Whatever, I stayed home.

I guess the old adage about, "there's a sucker born every minute", is way, way off. I did the math on this, and it appears that there are 486 (give or take) suckers born every minute.

Although I suppose that 700,000 people could be born a minute apart, and Steve Jobs just compressed them into one days worth of suckerdom?, suckerhood?

Whatever, I stayed home.

I know I know...you were too busy playing Crysis to be bothered to get up and get yourself an iPad. :rolleyes:

Steve Jobs is the Jim Jones of the tech world, he has them drinking the kool-aid.

Well theres always an exception, but I for one like to see the result of a device being dropped. It lets you determine your priority in saving the device vs. falling on your *** doing it.

From what I've read of the iPad, it's quite a nice device. The software makes it a lot more than the lackluster hardware would suggest. I'm still not planning to buy one, and I never understand people who buy products on the first day of release or before (unless they were extensively previewed, which the iPad wasn't).

Well you could be out helping homeless people right now, instead you chose to post a comment here.

Why cant a person buy what ever they want, and smash it to pieces if the want to, their money....not yours.

It actually started as an interesting test, they dropped it in the pavement, the iPad got busted....that was all it could take, one drop.
When its broken anyway, and there is no warranty for that, you might as well smash it up and have a bit of fun. Most fun you will ever have with an iPad.

Does anybody in the media ever get things right? Apple's reporting 300,000 sold. Maybe that explains why the 700,000 figure so much exceeds expectations.

Does anybody in the media ever get things right? Apple's reporting 300,000 sold. Maybe that explains why the 700,000 figure so much exceeds expectations.

Do you ever bother to understand the stuff you are bitching about? or do you just see something and have an instinct to complain?

The 300,000 is an estimate on what was sold in stores, the 700,000 includes preorders.

then how could 700,000 be sold in one day? Preorders didn't take place in one day! Freakin *****!

and I'm not bitching! I'm pointing out an error you dipshit!

It was an analyst's estimation, nothing more, nothing less. It was not reported as an absolute fact, and the linked story has updated with the official numbers.

Actually 700.000 iPads was an estimate made by "experts", 300.000 was the number actually sold, including pre-orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back