Weekend tech reading: DirectX 11 comes to Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

DirectX 11 comes to Vista Microsoft launched Windows 7 with full DirectX 11 support, but until now, Vista users running ATI’s newest 5000 series cards were left out in the cold. It's not like you’ve been waiting months to play the newest DX11 titles, but at least you now have the comfort of knowing that you don’t need to upgrade your OS in order to take advantage of your new GPU. Maximum PC

A-Data introduces industry's fastest SSD S596 A-Data Technology announced today its industry-leading SSD S596, a 2.5” SATAII SSD designed specifically for PC enthusiastic, multi-task and heavy-graphic users to perform assorted applications five times faster! Capacities are available at 64, 128, and 256GB, the S596 is completely in compliance with Windows 7 and Mac Snow Leopard. Legit Reviews

The lost decade; Why Steve Ballmer is no Bill Gates Last month Microsoft rolled out Windows 7 and opened the first of a chain of new retail stores. As usual with such announcements, there's been loads of hoopla and ginned-up excitement. But mostly people are just relieved. Windows 7 replaces Vista, one of the most disastrous tech products ever. It also caps the end of a decade in which Microsoft's founder, Bill Gates, stepped aside, and the company lost its edge. Newsweek

Windows 7 endless reboot answer evades Microsoft Users remained stymied today by endless reboots after trying to upgrade their PCs to Windows 7, according to messages posted on Microsoft's support forum. An answer has yet to be found for all users, who began reporting the problem last Friday after watching the upgrade stall two-thirds of the way through the process. Computerworld

Mozilla releases first beta of Firefox 3.6 Those keen to try out Mozilla's latest browser--and its new process to update the software more frequently--now can try Firefox 3.6 beta 1. CNET

Permalink to story.

It's good to see MS bringing DX11 to Vista in such a small time frame, Windows hasn't even been out in retail for two weeks.

It will be interesting see what if any other Windows 7 features are ported backwards onto Vista.

I was having that endless reboot problem with upgrading xp to windows 7, after about 5 restarts it suddenly worked, I have no idea why.

doesn't the upgrade path from xp involve a 'fresh install'? Why would there be an 'endless' reboot? Unless of course people are just too darn impatient.

That is shockingly quick for DX11 to be released. Now if only AMD can get chip yields up for their new cards they might be able to give Nvidia a real thrashing this Christmas.

It says that balmer tripled Microsoft profits, then why are they putting him down? And I'm happy to see that they are bringing the new Dx to Vista. I got kinda angry that XP didn't have Dx10

People forget that Vista happened on Bill Gates' watch. Balmer and Microsoft were able to get Win 7 done and out the door before expected....and....even get the hype up about it. It's pretty obvious from the new Mac commercials that they are concerned and even scared about Win 7 and the negative campaign they are running right now.

I like A-data ramping up the competition in the SSD market. Full speed ahead with bigger, faster, and cheaper (?).

I figure that just about the time comes to retire this laptop, an 80GB SSD should be "old" and cheap enough to add another year or two of service to those of us with older non-Core Duo processors. I rarely use 100% of the processor and with 2GB and XP, a fast and cheap SSD will keep this laptop going strong without me having to spend lots more for a newer one.

Glad MS got Direct-X 11 out so fast for Vista users. Even though I run on a Windows 7 machine now (and loving every minute of it!), people may stick with Vista just like they stuck with XP.

Thumbs up MS!

First of all, Bill Gates remained in the technical vision role in Microsoft until 2006, so for better or for worse, over half the decade has also been influence by him.

Secondly, Bill Gates has done pretty badly when it came to seeing trend (like the internet) and it wasn't as if Windows magically improved by leaps and bounds on his watch. Win95, 98, 98SE, ME, it wasn't until XP that there was a new and better consumer OS.

That writer is obviously ranting without making a reality check first, which unfortunately is the case for a lot of commentary.

Regarding the Vista DX11 update, it's been publicly available in beta since September, with final version promised for Win7 release. It was just a few days late, which is pretty good showing. At least Microsoft didn't do what they did with XP vs. Vista, and forced an OS upgrade to get the new DX version. Granted it's technically easier in this case, since Win7 is much closer to Vista than Vista is to XP, but still...

Mmm.. Nice stuff that MS is bringing DirectX to Vista , but still i think users will still like to keep Windows 7 so theres very little problem here . But what about endless reboots in Win7 ?Its kinda stupid that MS likes to keep quiet about things like this ? Its part of reason they loose credibility.

If Firefox 3.6 truly behaves as advertised then chrome has lost it's only weapon against it. If only they'd make something similar to Opera's boost.

If Firefox 3.6 truly behaves as advertised then chrome has lost it's only weapon against it.
Speed is a primary weapon, but so is Google itself. I mean, Chrome actually has television ads.

I haven't tried the beta yet, but I doubt it is faster or even *as fast as* Chrome. For example, when you load an application in Mac OS, it bounces on the dock until the Window full loads. When you load Chrome(ium) on Mac, it doesn't bounce at all. Not even once. I can't remember seeing an app do that. Even if you try opening many things at once and load Chrome at the same time, it doesn't bounce. LOL. Maybe they used a dirty hack to keep the icon from bouncing. ;-)

I just don't see Firefox doing that. Even the preloader didn't work that well.

I'm impressed! That's not how we know Microsoft, they never add new features to older versions of their OS's

I think microsoft are learning! Although i still dont see why people would want to keep vista with windows 7 out now which runs so much faster and smoother!

DX11 on Vista is a must, people will not upgrade in seconmds to Win 7 because it implies additional costs, the new licence is not free, and even Vista has some drawbacks, is not so bad, now with SP and other updates. I expect to do with my Vista Business, everything you can do on Win 7, and thats why DX11 on Vista is so important, i'm not an hardcore gamer, but if my Vista buyed two years ago couldn't play latest titles i would be really pissed off on Microsoft...

I feel for those people suffering endless reboots. My upgrade (Vista Home Premium; parental control on; two profiles) was flawless.

I was very careful though - uninstalled my antivirus; allowed Win7 to connect to Internet for latest install files; ensured all latest vista s/w and h/w updates were applied; had a full "ghost image" (used Macrium Reflect Free edition) just in case.

After all the prep, I then let the process run and now am a very happy Win7 user - and ALL my existing installations work - no reinstallation or reconfiguration needed.

DX 11 to XP would be really interesting... ;)

On the other hand, Firefox will always have its market share, and Google Chrome will probably be used as default browser by many people who usually have another favorite. At least that's what I see looking at myself - primary browser is Opera, default is Google Chrome, and I also spend enough time in Firefox and Flock.

The Ballmer Microsoft has tripled revenues in 10 years, yet the stock has done nothing in that time. The market doesn't care. If you pull up a chart, it's mostly been treading water between $20-30 for that entire 10 years. Pull up an Apple chart for comparison. They need to do something that will get people excited about the company again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back