Western Digital creates 314GB hard drive specifically for the Raspberry Pi

By Shawn Knight ยท 6 replies
Mar 15, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. WDLabs, a division of Western Digital, has unveiled a new hard drive built specifically for the Raspberry Pi. It's called the PiDrive and predictably, it offers up 314GB of storage.

The PiDrive 314GB is based on the company's high-volume 500GB platform but was designed specifically for the Raspberry Pi. It's a 2.5-inch, 7mm thick drive with native USB 3.0 / 2.0 support. WDLabs said customizations were made to the drive's magnetic recording and electrical operating set-points to reduce the electrical power load of the drive on the Raspberry Pi while still maintaining optimal transfer rates.

WDLabs also offers a PiDrive Kit that comes with a 2.5-inch 1TB hard drive, a 4GB microSD card with SD card adapter, a PiDrive enclosure and the necessary power adapter / cabling. The kit sells for $79.99 which some may feel is a bit too cost prohibitive, at least in the grand scheme of things when you consider a new Raspberry Pi 3 will set you back just $35.

Raspberry Pi CEO Eben Upton said the PiDrive 314GB gives its community a low-cost, purpose built hard drive solution that helps them develop even more innovative and unique ways to use Raspberry Pi.

The WDLabs PiDrive 314GB hard drive carries a suggested retail price of $45.81 but is being offered with a limited-time discount of 31.4 percent, bringing the final price to $31.42 (yesterday was Pi Day, after all).

Permalink to story.

2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,283   +900

I don't find the 1tb option to be prohibitive, specially with all that is bundled. Actually I'm very tempted to get one... must resist shopping spree...

3. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 1,255   +454

Seems rather dangerous using a mechanical drive on someone that will get jostled around a lot.

4. infiltrator

infiltrator TS Booster Posts: 164   +27

Yep, that's exactly what I had in mind. A flash drive or an SSD built specifically for the Raspberry Pi would've made much sense. Plus I hate the idea, of having to move a hard drive, while its spinning.

5. Kibaruk

Might have, but people are already complaining on this being "too expensive" for the Pi already, for what you are thinking they can get a flash drive or usb drive, no one needs 314gb to program a moving toy car or whatever, it's definitely meant for other applications, that they showcased it with a moving element is something different, or they wouldn't be selling the matching case for something like this :p

6. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,283   +242

I would have loved it more if wd mde a 1tb prepartitioned at 314gb/partition or one drive at 3.14tb capacity.

wastedkill likes this.
  7. Kibaruk

We are heading there, in the meanwhile we do have more to worry about bandwidth than actual space.