Western Digital unveils 1TB, 2.5-inch notebook drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Months after breaking the 2TB mark in the desktop hard drive space, Western Digital is now pushing the boundaries of mobile storage by announcing the world’s first 1TB 2.5-inch drive. Available also in a smaller 750GB version, both drives join the company’s “Scorpio Blue” line and offer 3Gbps SATA connectors, spin at up to 5,200rpm, have 8MB of cache and are based on 333GB-per-platter technology.

Unfortunately the three-platter design also means a non-standard thickness of 12.5mm, so a drop-in upgrade won't be possible for all laptop users – Western Digital is initially offering these up in My Passport Essential SE portable USB drives. The duo come with anti-shock protection and promise extremely low noise levels in operation thanks to its WhisperDrive technology.

Both models are shipping now through various channels; the Scorpio Blue 750GB model has a suggested sticker price of $190 while the Scorpio Blue 1TB is a mere $250.

Permalink to story.

Awesome! I have a WD 250 GB HD and that is great! 1 TB now could last you well forever with great prices... how can you go wrong?

Awesome!, got 350GB but now they had 1TB, hmm...i would love to have that!
...no worries on space storage, specially if using to work and school!

It would be nice, if they could come up with a 7.200rpm 2.5 hard drive, at the storage level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back