What adapter is this?

It looks like it would go the the AGP port...I believe it could be some kind of memory expansion to a integrated graphics card...but then again why would it be a expansion, wouldn't it be easier to just pot there a graphics card that's better than the integrated...
If it would be an expansion memory to a integrated graphics card it wouldn't work in any mobo...

but that's all a guess / what I can see / think of

This definently looks like an AGP-card.
I have two qualified guesses:

You see, back in the days, some motherboards with integrated GPU's could not accept some external GPU's due to architectural conflict; they just wouldn't work together. Thus, some motherboard manufacturers made RAM AGP-cards, to equal the expansion-card's performance boost, for the internal graphics.

Otherwise this could simply be a security card, used in public computers and schools. What they do is that they save a "change revertion-file" which monitors the changes made on the computer, and then reverts the changes made upon shutdown.

However, I'm simply guessing.

I think that Leeky's right, it's most likely a prehistoric memory stick. Written on the IC seems to be the capacity, frequency, and the timing latency number.

.but then again why would it be a expansion, wouldn't it be easier to just pot there a graphics card that's better than the integrated...
If it would be an expansion memory to a integrated graphics card it wouldn't work in any mobo...
I suppose this could be from the year 1 "BUPNP" (Before Universal Plug and Play)

This is just from my sometimes failing memory...but I seem to remember many,many years ago having a Micron, or Zeos computer that needed 'filler cards' in the dimms that were not being used. a sort of link to complete the circuit between the occupied memory modules and the empty dimms.

**** I have $5 that says Chef knows what this is***

I don't think it's memorey because there was allready memorey elsewhere on the mobo and it was larger. I'm not sure how old the computer was but it was definatly newer than 486, definatly older than Windows XP. It was a computer at work and it just got recycled.

If it's any help there was a green plastic clip around the base of the port on the mobo that held the adapter securley in place

http://www1.epinions.com/pr-Samsung_4MB_AGP_Inline_Memory_Module_aimm133333_Video_Memory

This looks like it and there are some of these on line.

AGP Inline Memory Module . AIMM 133Mhz Graphics Performance Accelerator . Used in conjunction with the on-board video subsystem to enhance overall video performance .

You must have excellent eye sight, I could hardly tell from the picture on the website is the same as the picture I uploaded.

So this is memorey for the (onboard) graphics card? I'm affraid I don't know much about computer hardware that is more than 10 years old.

AGP memory

I don't know anything about this card, but I have learned to look up a lot of things on the internet! BTW, I love techspot, great place to read and learn.

Thanks

Back