What Are Chiplets and Why They Are So Important for the Future of Processors

With recent quarterly financial loses, I dont think intel will continue to use interposer for desktop consumer meteor lake because it's just too expensive.

With recent quarterly financial loses, I dont think intel will continue to use interposer for desktop consumer meteor lake because it's just too expensive.
They can afford to take some loses if they manage to beat AMD. Intel's biggest problems are not how fast or efficient their chips are, it's the delays. Meteor Lake will be laptop only as they canceled the desktop version to focus on Arrow Lake.

If they don't deliver Arrow Lake in Q4 of 2024, as they said they will, then they'll have to compete with Zen6 instead of Zen5/Zen5 3D. Hopefully they won't do a paper launch, competition is good.

As I see it, Intel and AMD will once again start leapfrogging eachother:
Zen 4 Phoenix/Dragon <= Meteor Lake < zen 5 < Zen 5 3D < Arrow Lake < Zen 6 < Panther Lake

Last edited:
Chiplets allow for modularity & economy of scale...

7c87e67c907068294704ff4bfd9eaeb4c3e09ccbab36d6e7c5c46e3ba8dc8c70.png

They can afford to take some loses if they manage to beat AMD. Intel's biggest problems are not how fast or efficient their chips are, it's the delays. Meteor Lake will be laptop only as they canceled the desktop version to focus on Arrow Lake.

If they don't deliver Arrow Lake in Q4 of 2024, as they said they will, then they'll have to compete with Zen6 instead of Zen5/Zen5 3D. Hopefully they won't do a paper launch, competition is good.

As I see it, Intel and AMD will once again start leapfrogging eachother:
Zen 4 Phoenix/Dragon <= Meteor Lake < zen 5 < Zen 5 3D < Arrow Lake < Zen 6 < Panther Lake
I feel it is the delay with their fab that is having a knock on impact on them delivering the chip timely. If you observed, the way Intel is rolling Meteor Lake out is akin to Cannon Lake/ Ice Lake when Intel managed to squeeze 10nm out of their fab after prolong delays.

That is why there is no "Apple M2 Extreme" for Mac Pro, the Ultra is already an Ultra-expensive monolithic behemot.

Why aren't the silicon wafers square so there's no wasted chips on the disc's perimeter?
Wafers are made from a single crystal of ultra-pure silicon that are slowly spun in liquid silicon, to make them grow into a large ingot (which then gets sliced into thin pieces). This is why they’re circular - can’t spin a square shape.

Edit: Bit more detail on the method can be read here — https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czochralski_method

Last edited:
Back