What are your top must-have PC games?

Polycount

Hi, everyone.

I had a quick question for you all today: what PC games do you think everybody should have in their library, even if they don't necessarily play them constantly? They can be aging classics like the original Doom games, they can be ongoing multiplayer titles like League of Legends, or even a more recent (comparatively speaking) singleplayer RPG like the Witcher 3.

With that said, try to think of games that are more than a year old. I want to hear what you consider to be the best of the best, the quintissential PC (or multiplatform) games that you think have defined industry in some way.

To name a few of my personal picks, I'd have to go with Skyrim (to justify: it was the reason for the Steam Workshop's creation, and it bolstered the PC modding community as a whole considerably), Half-Life 2, Divine Divinity, and Baldur's Gate 2.

Thanks in advance.

I personally dont need more than one game, but im waiting for AOE4. I rarely buy games because I usually get dissapointed so I cant really buy 30 games just to find that one game that I will enjoy.

I personally dont need more than one game, but im waiting for AOE4. I rarely buy games because I usually get dissapointed so I cant really buy 30 games just to find that one game that I will enjoy.

I got 300 games on Steam account... But I spent 90% of my gaming time on Heroes of the Storm. You are quite right, I regreat 90% of my gaming buys... Still I can enjoy a lot more than one single game.

Baldur's Gate 2
Assassin's Creed 2
(uh oh...bit of theme building up here)
Batman Arkham City
(nooo, it's another sequel)
BioShock
(saved!)
Call of Duty 4: MW
Civ 5
Company of Heroes
Deus Ex
Doom
Dragon Age: Origins
Fallout: New Vegas
Final Fantasy VII
GTA: San Andreas
Half Life 2
Kerbal Space Program
Mass Effect 2
Portal
Quake II
Silent Hunter III
(dang...back to sequels)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: X-Wing
Thief

All of these games have consumed hundreds and hundreds of hours of my life, and I regret not one second of any of it :)

Thief: The Dark Project and Thief II: The Metal Age. The impact these games had on the industry cannot be underestimated. Fantastic plots; well written, and the levels very challenging.

Baldur's Gate 1 + the fantastic addition Tales of the Sword Coast
Baldur's Gate 2
Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2
Morrowind and Skyrim
Gothic 1, 2, and 3
Risen

More modern: Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 and Divine Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2 with 2 being one of the best RPGs I have ever played.

* Can you see a pattern here? :cool:

The best new PC game to play in 2020

1. Fortnite Battle Royale
2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
3. Dark Souls 3
4. Monster Hunter World
5. Doom Eternal

I'm picking games that, in their time, were just fantastic. Games that maybe spawned their own genres or completely overhauled how we looked at the genre. Some of my memorable favorites:

Wing Commander
Wolfenstein 3D
Civilization
Sim City
Command & Conquer
Privateer
Resident Evil 2
Medal of Honor
Battlefield 1942
Grand Theft Auto III
Morrowind
The Witcher 3

The below list are my all time favourite PC Games which I dont get bored while playing:
Fallout: New Vegas
Final Fantasy VII
GTA: San Andreas
Call of Duty 4: MW

Fallout 3, 4 & New Vegas.
Plants vs. Zombies
Defense Grid: The Awakening (excellent tower-defense game)
AoE II
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Civilization V
Left 4 Dead 2
GTA 5
Starcraft 2
Witcher 3
Subnautica
Bioshock I & II

I just finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey - putting in 320 hours total game play - and consider it one of the top 3 best games I've ever played. Highly recommended.

I play only solo because I want to save and quit whenever...after I played Everquest original for 15 years and ran and paid for 4 accounts the hard way (4 computers and no boxing software) I vowed I'm not putting up with online *****s that spoil a game for me.

Supreme Commander (Played this daily until I started version 2, much harder AI)
Supreme Commander2 (Playing that now even tho its older)
Planetary Annihilation (615 hours It's like Supreme and a lot of fun too)
PA Titans..another 724 hrs..egad
Witcher3 (Finished)
Master of Orion from Good Old Gaming (Runs in a DOS box). When the Internet is down I play that. Excellent game but you have to come over to my place so I can show you how to have fun. You have to play Darlocks and spy on Hard Mode
GTAV 100hrs really surprised me in every way. One of the best titles (Finished)
Yakuza 0.. 162hrs I thought I knew what type of game I was playing and it showed me gameplay I have never seen before (So awesome!). You have to give it a pass on some of the story/dialogue but it's well worth your time (finished).
Read Dead Redemption 2 ..206hrs So much to do and see. Well worth my time.
Mafia III. 162 hrs Lots of fun and the driving had a great feel to it. (finished).
Dead Island 138hrs I wasn't sure at first but it's good =)
Dead Rising 4. 88hrs So much fun, so much humor. I have changed computers but I think it is time for a revisit. I never did find a better Zombie game!
Dying Light another zombie game and a little more scary. 262 hours played
CIV5 394 hours
Ni no Kuni 111hrs another surprisingly fresh game experience. RPG type

I have more but that will keep you going for a while

I can't belive no one mentioned single best game in the history of humanity - Heroes III. So the list should be the following:
1) Heroes of Might & Magic III - simply genial, the best game in the world. Can last you forever.
2) Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honour - best RPG ever created. The unbelievable feeling of adventures, challenging, but a very grateful game.
3) NOX - one of the best RPG/slashers. Funnily, this game is more interesting, has better physics than Diablo 2, which somehow became more popular.
4) Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 - great RPG games, which have excellent party assembling, great exploration, and story. Can run on a potato.
5) The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - chose Morrowind over Skyrim or Oblivion, which is debatable, but I just enjoyed it more.
6) Warlords III Battlecry - simply best RTS game ever. Endless replayability, lots of races with good balance, very interesting hero developing system.
7) Need for Speed: Underground - when NFS was still great. Fun arcade racing game, challenging, great music, adequate customizations of cars. May look a bit old today.
8) Unreal Tournament - excellent shooter. Dynamic, fun, has lots of fun weapons, challenging, but reasonably so.

With these 8 games, you get yourself covered for the whole life. And can forget all those Cyperpooks and modern money-making NGREEDIA scam games.

ARK Survival Evolved - Put like 3,800 hours into this. When you find a group of friends, and a server with good settings, this game is very fun.

Football Manager series - Again, so many hours put into this over the years. My wife hates this game, lol.

Age of Empires 2 - Still my favourite RTS...hope AOE4 changes that opinion.

Battlefield 3/4 - Still play these with my friends, much better in every way when compared to the last two BF releases.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion/Skyrim - Essential games, with so many cool mods.

Fallout 3/New Vegas - Never had so much fun exploring worlds as I did in these games.

Bioshock - A masterpiece.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 4/MW 2K19/Cold War - Always fun if I'm looking for some quick shooting action.

Portal 1 and 2 - Clever, humourous and constantly surprising.

Stellaris - Love the scope of this game, and playing with a group of friends leads to some interesting scenarios.

Minecraft - Played so much of this, it feels more like a platform than an actual game, with all the mini-game mods and scenarios you can install. Playing it recently with ray-tracing features has been amazing.

Wasteland 2/3 - They really nailed the spirit of the older Fallout style RPG games.

FTL: Faster Than Light - What I thought was a simple game turned into hundreds of hours of experimenting and equal measures of joy and frustration.

Dead Space - The first game is an amazing combination of atmosphere and limb-chopping gameplay.

Resident Evil series - The remakes have been great, and along with 4 and 7, this has been a great set of games.

Half-Life series - Replayed them so many times, never feels old.

Factorio - The planning...the constant planning. When I play this I dream of conveyer belts, sometimes these dreams become nightmares.

Back