WHAT Danger, Wil Robinson??? (UpNp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alight, I'm looking for opinions here on UpNp? I know that many of you disable it and I want to know your specific reasons for doing so if you'd like to share them.
Is UpNp that large of a risk, or are you just cautious. WHo out there enables it and reaps all it's benefits? Have you been bitten for using it in any way?

I ask because I'm considering updating my gateway router to a model that supports UpNp so that many manchines on my network can reap use services like directplay, gamevoice, etc... rather than only ONE machine, which is all that is possible atm using my RT311 and packet forwarding to that ONE machine's ip only.

Thoughts? Opinions? Witty anecdotes?

Salud!

I disabled it for two reasons:

1) Lots of talk about it being a security risk
2) I have yet to have a need for it to be enabled

I have not personally encountered any problems related to it being enabled on machines I've worked on or any machines of my own(though I already mentioned that I disabled it on my own machines)
I have read countless articles discussing how dangerous it is supposed to be to have it enabled, and much "gloom and doom" type mentality about it.

Summary: If you don't need it, no reason to run a risk. If there is some reason you need to have it enabled, I'm sure someone here can probably help you to do so with minimal risk involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back