What do you think about these BSODs?

SNGX1275

I recently sold one of my older yet still completely usable computers to my dad. Since he's had it its BlueScreened a few times. I don't know how to read these things very well so I'm a bit in the dark here. Unfortunately he lives an hour away and only has dial up, over Thanksgiving I was able to grab the .dmp files and that was it. I didn't have a memtest disk with me to run that.

I never had any issues running XP, Vista, or Server 2008r2 on it. It currently has Windows 7 64bit.

I've attached the dmp files and a screenshot of them listed in Bluescreen Viewer.

Had to zip the dmps because they were slightly over 200kb.

Attachments

• SNGX BSOD.zip
    120.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 1
SNGX1275, three error codes are 0xD1 and these are usually caused by faulty drivers or mismatched or corrupted memory.

One error code is 0x1E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. A Stop 0x1E condition can be caused by invalid memory and access violations similar to those that generate Stop 0xA errors. 0xA errors are caused by either hardware or drivers attempting to address higher IRQ Levels than what they are designed for resulting in system crashes.

These four simply cited the core Windows OS driver ntkrnlmp.exe as the cause but the thing with OS drivers is that they are usually too general to be of much diagnostic help. They more often point out that there is a problem rather than telling us what the problem is.

However, the fifth dump appears to have pinpointed the issue; it is 0x000000B8: ATTEMPTED_SWITCH_FROM_DPC
These are generally hardware issues (which often means driver issues).

The driver specifically cited is ltmdm64.sys (l = lower case L and not a numerical one). This is an Agere v.92 Data + Fax Modem driver. Considering your father's system uses only dial up I believe this is your issue. Update the drivers and if that doesn't work then perhaps the card itself is bad.

Thanks. Dad said he thought it occurred most of the time after coming off the internet. I am about to head over there with another modem and a memtest disk. If I can find some drivers for the modem I'll get those too.

Memtest passed on one pass. Would have let it run more but didn't have the time - plus I'm pretty confident the RAM is good. I uninstalled the modem through device manager then shut down and swapped modems (this time with a conexant chipset modem). Its too early to tell if that fixed it, but so far so good....

Back