What does 100 Mbps full duplex, half duplex mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwin1978

I have a router that supports 100 Mbps and under my ethernet settings I enabled 100 Mbps full duplex. What does that mean to me?

Found this from the good guys over at www.whatis.com:

Full-duplex data transmission means that data can be transmitted in both directions on a signal carrier at the same time. For example, on a local area network with a technology that has full-duplex transmission, one workstation can be sending data on the line while another workstation is receiving data. Full-duplex transmission necessarily implies a bidirectional line (one that can move data in both directions).

Maybe this can help you with your question. Seems to me that you definitely want this feature enabled if at all possible.

It means that your theoretical max data throughput is 200 mbit/sec. This is all theoretical, of course.

LNCPapa

And Full and Half duplex means this, Full duplex can transfer and send data at the same time where Half duplex can send data one way then the other. Think of a one lane road (half duplex) traffic can only go one way at a time, but two lane road (full duplex) can have traffic traveling both ways at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back