What does the backwards r and then the u mean on electronics?

By GeekieNick101 · 9 replies
Jan 23, 2007
Post New Reply
  1. Hey Everybody,

    I would like to know what the backward r and then the u stands for on many electronics. And its just not computers its on basicly everything with a circuit board, does it mean Rohs approved or something else thats the only thing I could think of and I know some people are going to think what the heck am I talking about so I included pictures.



    Thank you much much Everyone
  2. DivineMeia

    DivineMeia TS Rookie Posts: 24

    Perhaps it's just a logo for a company?
    Seems like it might be. Try googling it?

    I just finished a logo test that some co-workers and I had started, and I found alot of the answers through google. I think it's a good place to start. =)
  3. kitty500cat

    kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

    I've seen it on different stuff. I think it has to do with some kind of industry standard. Just like a UL or a CE logo on stuff.
  4. GeekieNick101

    GeekieNick101 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 373

    Yeah I know its a standard, I was just wondering what it means since I see it on everything, I work in the electronics field yet I dont know what it means nor does an engineer I asked. And I thought maybe someone on here would know.

    Thank you very much
  5. Mictlantecuhtli

    Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

  6. cfitzarl

    cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,975   +9

    Huh, whenever I see it I think of the russian letter; Я (ya). That's the only thing about knowing more than one alphabet...especially when I try to recite the Spanish alphabet and go onto the Russian alphabet. I'm confused :unch: !
  7. GeekieNick101

    GeekieNick101 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 373

    Thank you very much for telling me its a standard of Underwriters Lab, I would have never figured that one out, Thank you very much
  8. Dr. Wizard K.

    Dr. Wizard K. TS Rookie

    Yes, it is a "UL Recognized Component Mark". Here's what they have to say about it on their website at http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/corporate/aboutul/ulmarks/mark/

    These are Marks consumers rarely see because they are specifically used on component parts that are part of a larger product or system. These components may have restrictions on their performance or may be incomplete in construction. The component recognition marking is found on a wide range of products, including some switches, power supplies, printed wiring boards, some kinds of industrial control equipment and thousands of other products.
    Just as with the UL Listing and Classified Marks, there are three variations of UL's Recognized Component Mark: one for the United States only, one for Canada only and one for both the United States and Canada. The C-UR Mark is applied to components only used in the Canadian market. Components with this type of Mark have been evaluated to Canadian standards. The optional C-UL-US Component Recognition Mark indicates compliance with both Canadian and U.S. requirements. UL encourages manufacturers distributing UL Recognized Components evaluated for both countries to use this combined Mark, but they may continue using separate UL Recognized Component Marks for the United States and Canada.
    Components covered by UL's Recognized Component program are intended to be installed in another device, system or end product. They are to be installed at the factory, not in the field and they may have restricted performance capabilities that limit their use. When a complete product or system containing UL Recognized Components is evaluated, the end-product evaluation process can be streamlined.
    The UL component evaluation process may include a construction examination and testing. Guidelines addressing the suitability of a component when used in an end product are noted in UL's test report as conditions of acceptability. This information can also be found in UL's Online Certifications Directory and the UL iQTM parametric databases.
    All components carrying the UL Recognized Component Mark are covered by UL's Follow-Up Services program to determine continued compliance with UL's requirements.
  9. cliffordcooley

    cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 9,726   +3,700

    Jad Chaar likes this.
  10. captaincranky

    captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 13,005   +2,532

    The current hipster term is, "necrobump".....;)

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...