What DX (9 or 10) card should I Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myzz617

Hi, I am planning o building my first gaming rig. Not really too may DX 10 games out that I want yet..COH is DX9 and my frustration is on whether I can play a DX9 game on a DX 10 card without any issues..lag..etc

It would really help if someone who is i nthe same perdictament. Playig a DX9 games o a DX 10 GPU..?

Thanks

You can play DX9 games on a DX10 card with no problems. The video quality is a lot better as well. It all boils down to your budget, what processor you currently have, power supply and RAM.

I have a DirectX 10 graphics card, a PNY 8800 Ultra, but since I use Windows XP, I can only play games using DirectX 9. I notice no lag.

i'd go with a dx10 card. if you have the money, go for broke. go with a high end card like the radeon 2900hd or the geforce 8800. maybe it'd be best to wait a while though. on november 15th, a new radeon card is coming out. might want to keep an eye out. if money is a problem, try and save for the radeon x1950pro 512mb. 140 bucks ish if you look at newegg.com. but if you have the cash, save for the others i mentioned.

I looked up the comparisons on the DX10 update for company of heroes. It gives you better dynamic lighting, shadowing, explosions, fire smoke, etc. Unless you're all about having the best quality it's not a big deal and if anything (depending on the rest of your computer specs) having all te DX10 effects might lower your framerates rather then raise them. nothing noticeable either way.

HI Myzz617,don't get frustrated about playing COH on a dX9 card,the game is so tough that after playing several levels,u'll only think about how to beat the current level and u'll have no time to view any visual effect,in fact all current games are visully so stunning with amazing gameplay that u'll have little to worry about the difference of performance between dx9 and dx10 card,in the middle of intense gaming,u'll sense almost no visual difference between 2 types.i'm not a rich guy,though i've a dx10 card (8600gt),my OS is winxp(sp2) and that's why my card acts like a dx9 card,but i've had no problem in playing many new games including MOH-airborne,overlord, dirt, bioshock,lost planet,HL2-episode2 at maximum settings.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Well a far as parts go so far i have the Antec 900 Case, a EVGA 680i SLi MOBO i believe its the A1 not sure tho. And two 500GB WD SATA HDD's.

I really am not budgeting when I spend lol just trying to put together something. But as far as buying a Graphics card, I am leaning towards something of the 8800 Series, but not trying to spend 380$ on a card..anything more than 350 is senseless to me as of now. but I can make exceptions. :D

The E6600 CPU or E6700 CPU both seem like one of my choices.

So basically i need suggestions on RAM and GPU mainly...those Core 2 Duo CPu's that i mentioned have great reviews and the prive is not bad.

Also any game suggestions???

Just keep in mind Ima have a 360 soon and i got a PS3

COH is programed to run on DX10 or DX9 it will be even better on DX10 especially with the night missions it completely changes every thing. You will never want to DX9 at night again! Trust me!

For what it's worth, you have to purchase it before October 31st if you want the mail in rebate.

Well, you would lose the $30.00 rebate for one thing. As to the price going up or down after the 31st, honestly, I don't know. I only mentioned it just in case it was important to you and in case you overlooked it.

Lol good looking out bro :D

If anything im more interested in the free game deal tho...the real reason...mir IMO are non-satisfactroy because you still pay the full amount

Why the 680i mobo? Unless you want to OC the CPU and memory to very high frequencies, avoid it. You'd need some cooling for the northbridge too, since it gets quite hot. In any case, below are my recommendations for your new rig.
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail - $194.99

Motherboard
ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $159.99 after $20 rebate
OR
MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - $119.99 after $20 rebate

RAM
OCZ OCZ2G8002GK 2GB Kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Gold Gamer eXtreme XTC Edition Dual Channel Memory Retail ***Free Shipping*** - $42.90 after $30 rebate

Video Card
MSI GeForce 8800GT PCI-E 512MB GDDR3 - $234.08 (when it releases)

I gave you a choice in the motherboards in case you wanted SLI functionality as well. The 650i SLI chipset is identical to the 680i in every way except for the fact that it has two PCI-E x16 slots as compared to the three on the 680i and it OCs slightly lesser than its bigger brother. So there's no point in taking the 680i when the 650i delivers the same performance. TS even has an article comparing the two, so check that out. As for the video card, it's able to beat the 8800GTS 640MB quite easily and is cheap too. The RAM is of excellent quality and dirt cheap after the rebate. Lastly, the CPU is the best performer in its price bracket.

Thanks Rage. I already have the mobo...lol had it for a few months now and my rig still is not built. RAM, CPU and GPU along with DVD drives fans etc...are all i really need to get.

your suggestions are great esp the RAM. I would prefer to buy all my parts from one vendor if possible esp newegg...I like my stuff to get here ASAP when i order :D

As far as OC goes...ima eventually get into that but i have never done it b4..but thats the reason why i bought the mobo i have and i also intend on water cooling it too...its a big expense tho..got the antec 900 case...question tho....does anyone kno where i would plug the led light cables into?? The white plugs that look like they plug into a 2 prong slot?

Thanks

Edit: This card Maxes out @ my budget limit for a videocard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127280

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back