What is the best data backup strategy for Mac OS X El Capitan?

I have a lot of data on my Mac OS and I am looking for the best backup strategy. I have previously had a windows desktop with an external hard drive connected all of the time and a backup program that copied to the external hard drive incrementally. I am trying to figure out the best backup strategy?

Whats wrong with simply using Time Machine? Its easy to set up, you can exclude certain directories/paths and it makes hourly backups of the past day, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for everything older. You can go 'back in time' and pull an old file or previous version of something you were working on. If you have a catastrophic hard drive failure its super easy to restore from the Time Machine backup to exactly how it was before.

There is no reason (without you explaining further) you should need to download or buy any 3rd party software.

I backup only my /user/Login/Documents folder, using the differential technique to an external USB HD.
The thought is there are far fewer Personal Files and OS recovery is easier with a reinstall anyway.

Back