What is your favorite stealth video game/franchise?

Justin Kahn

open forum stealth gaming splinter cell deus ex dishonored metal gear

For me video games have always been about the immersion of putting myself in the shoes of a single character on screen -- and maybe because I've never been naturally good at fast paced FPS games -- stealth experiences have always resonated with me. Developers have been trying to master the art of stealth since the very early days of the Metal Gear series and even in Wolfenstein dating back as far as 1981. Nowadays, the genre has evolved with some great franchises like Splinter Cell, Hitman and my personal favorite, Metal Gear.

Even though I have always had a soft spot for Snake's convoluted story-lines and admittedly stiff game mechanics, the other big players in the genre have always made me question who has done it the best? Not the story, not the characters, but the actual stealth gameplay mechanics. Even a game like Dishonored should be involved in the conversation in my opinion, it obviously doesn't have the pedigree of the aforementioned franchises, but it certainly added a level of speed and mobility to what was generally thought of as a slow paced and methodical genre. As for single game experiences, my favorites are Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Hitman: Blood Money and MGS:3.

For this week's open forum, we're wondering what your favorite stealth game/franchise is and what you think of the genre as a whole. Do the long-running franchises like Metal Gear and Hitman hold the crown or do new players like Human Revolution and Dishonored bring it to the next level?

Permalink to story.

Metal Gear Solid, no question for me.

I've yet to play a stealth game that surpasses the quality in both story and gameplay that the MGS series delivers for me.

Splinter Cell is great. I wish someone would remake the Tenchu series with current technology. The stealth bits in batman games are also good.

Assassin's Creed for me. Whole franchise is enjoyable but I like the first part.

Thief was the original game that introduced a lot of elements that tons of other games used for stealth elements. It deserves to be number 1.

I definitely agree with Metal Gear Solid games, and also Dishonored.

Dishonored was so good on PC... The controls were so fluid and believable, the environment was so dynamic and unpredictable. The climbing was quick and looked good, the power-ups were perfect...

Just an overall amazing game. Had a great time with it, I always chose sneaky over murderous.

These four:

Dishonored
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Metro: Last Light
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

The NSA Surveilance Scheme

I don't really like it,

but that's nothing scariest.

Since, you don't really like it, you should move to Russia, China or North Korea. Then you'll have a new

found meaning of the word "Scariest".

The mention of MW3 surprised me until I realised some of the bits were quite stealthy, but I think a truly good stealth game should allow you to play through as much as possible without killing; maybe allows soft-takedowns ie rendering your victim unconcious; or at least rewards you for reduced kills.
So I'm torn between Thief 3, Dishonored, Deus Ex, Deus Ex:HR, Splintercells 1-3. Interestingly, these are amongst my 'I'd play that again one day' list possibly due to the heightened involvement that I feel a stealth game has to offer. I did replay SC1 and tried the next-to-zero kills; I also in Deus Ex but got distracted and never finished (hmm where's that save game...)

These four:

Dishonored
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Metro: Last Light
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
The mention of Metro:Last Light has me intrigued as I've just bought it, though I remember 2033 as having some stealth sections but not much more.

Back