What kind of monitor should I get given my needs?

Jskid

There are a lot of types of monitors available these days. I would like to use mine for reading documents with lots of text and few pictures (like webpages) and watching movies. I don't think I need a high refresh rate because it wouldn't be for gaming so much. Would IPS monitors be best for this? Do features like HDR or being LED make a difference to these?

I find higher resolution for reading text to be the most beneficial. 1440p or 2160p at a minimum. Especially if the screen size isn't massive (for the best PPI). My aging eyes really like reading on 4K screens.

IPS and HDR would be beneficial for movies. I love my IPS monitor, but those panels do cost a premium. Using it for a bit now, I won't buy another TN panel again. TN have much better contrast and do blacks and whites better. IPS has fantastic color reproduction.

I find higher resolution for reading text to be the most beneficial. 1440p or 2160p at a minimum. Especially if the screen size isn't massive (for the best PPI). My aging eyes really like reading on 4K screens.

IPS and HDR would be beneficial for movies. I love my IPS monitor, but those panels do cost a premium. Using it for a bit now, I won't buy another TN panel again. TN have much better contrast and do blacks and whites better. IPS has fantastic color reproduction.

you should consider
[SIZE=26px]Asus PB278QV 27" Professional Monitor 75Hz WQHD (2560 X 1440) [/SIZE]

If you do a lot of "document/web" reading, might I suggest an aftermarket stand that allows you to "pivot" the screen to "portrait" view (or monitor that comes with such a stand)?

Than means ensuring whatever you buy has "VESA" mounting holes on back.

And if you do more reading than playing, I don't recommend 4K. Text will be much too small (unless you run at a lower resolution which kinda defeats the purpose of buying a more expensive 4K monitor.) A 2K monitor is plenty.

Back