What to check while buying new monitor

hitech0101

I want to buy a new LG LCD monitor what should i check while buying it.I am going for 19 inch & checked for compatability with my system is there anything else i should look for?

I want to buy a new LG LCD monitor what should i check while buying it.I am going for 19 inch & checked for compatibility with my system is there anything else i should look for?
You've narrowed this down to the point that it pretty much doesn't matter, since there's not much left to check.

IMHO; I would never buy a 19" monitor, period! The vertical height is too short. This especially in view of the fact that many monitors are now 16:9 aspect ratio, down from the old computer WS standard of 16:10. Usually, you have to bump up a size if the aspect is 16:9 because the panels are smaller!. Do yourself a big favor, and wait until you can buy a 22" or 23"panel. (definitely 23", if it's the 16:9 TV Hi-Def standard). The difference in your satisfaction with these sizes, and any 19", would be day and night.

you could get my acer v233H 23.6" monitor. I believe it was £135 last christmas so it must be quite cheap now

I agree with the guys above. Thats pretty specific already. You have to be a bit careful getting excited about contrast ratios between brands, but since you are only looking at LG they could be useful with comparing different 19" LG monitors.

I've got 2 older Benq 20.1" monitors and my only complaint on them is that they don't have a high enough resolution, I can do 1680x1050. I'd really like the 1900x1200, just something where I can view 1080p hd content without shrinking or losing pixels off the screen.

So like captain said, I think you'd be better off getting something larger.

There are various things to be checked while working with such a monitor. One of the things to be checked is the number of USB hubs that such units have. The next thing to be considered is the warranty on the backlight. It is always good to look for a higher warranty on the backlight.

There are various things to be checked while working with such a monitor. One of the things to be checked is the number of USB hubs that such units have. The next thing to be considered is the warranty on the backlight. It is always good to look for a higher warranty on the backlight.
You know, I'm on board with the warranty issue, but I simply think buying a monitor on the basis of how many USB hubs it has is absurd.

Maybe what types of video inputs it has, would be more important that that, whadda ya think?

Monitor Spec/advice

Don't know if it's too obvious, it will be to some users, but it makes a big difference if the Graphic card has a DVI output, the monitor has a DVI input and a DVI/DVI cable is used. The picture becomes PIXEL SHARP, unlike using a VGA setup.

You know, I'm on board with the warranty issue, but I simply think buying a monitor on the basis of how many USB hubs it has is absurd.

Maybe what types of video inputs it has, would be more important that that, whadda ya think?

No, I don’t think it’s absurd buying a monitor on the basis of how many USB hubs it has. This is an important factor. Of course, I also agree with what you said about the types of video inputs it has.

mike is on the right track the bigger you go, you may want to look at beefing up the video card or the video will look all crappy. what computer is this (video card to be specific). Onboard video usually will not give a good enough signal to a 23" monitor. 19" you can usually keep what you have without adding extra parts.

also if your going from a 15" crt you will be happy with a flat 19"

No, I don’t think it’s absurd buying a monitor on the basis of how many USB hubs it has. This is an important factor. Of course, I also agree with what you said about the types of video inputs it has.
The average motherboard today has 8 to 10 USB 2.0 connections. In many cases that will suffice.

I recently purchased a $400.00 24" Dell, with an H-IPS panel.

So, the panel technology is the most important consideration.

It has D-Sub, DVI, and >> "Display Port" << inputs, but NO HDMI...!

This could actually be a problem for some, since most add-in video cards DON'T have display port, (yet).

It has a 3 year fairly liberal warranty, As we've both stipulated, that's important.

It has a pivoting base, and for someone interested in digital imaging, that is important.

It has USB ports also, about which I could giva a rat's a**, since I didn't buy a 400 dollar monitor so that I could plug a stinking iPod into it.

The average motherboard today has 8 to 10 USB 2.0 connections. In many cases that will suffice.

I recently purchased a $400.00 24" Dell, with an H-IPS panel.

So, the panel technology is the most important consideration.

It has D-Sub, DVI, and >> "Display Port" << inputs, but NO HDMI...!

This could actually be a problem for some, since most add-in video cards DON'T have display port, (yet).

It has a 3 year fairly liberal warranty, As we've both stipulated, that's important.

It has a pivoting base, and for someone interested in digital imaging, that is important.

It has USB ports also, about which I could giva a rat's a**, since I didn't buy a 400 dollar monitor so that I could plug a stinking iPod into it.
Thanks for the detail information, and now I learn about more. I believe what you said, really convincing.

hitech is upgrading to an $80 LG monitor so he probably doesnt care about all that stuff. I admit, i too am happy with my $70 acer 19" that i bought on sale at target just because I dont like a giant crt and I wanted to go a little bigger. i do have a fancy dancy one that i use at work though and the difference is significant. its been 2 years and screw a warranty, Ive got my moneys worth out of this one. I would look for a warranty with the 22" and higher

The problem with smaller panels that have TN technology, is that the color and density shifts that are so prevalent with this type of panel, are aggravated as the pixel pitch decreases.

I am interested in a monitor that makes human skin look like human skin from any viewing angle, hence my move to IPS. Granted that is a significant expenditure. I'm not really suggesting such a purchase by Hitech. I have had a couple of 19" panels, and because I am into photography, I was quite unhappy with them for this simple reason; a 19" WS monitor will NOT display an 8 X 10" photo (portrait orientation) at 1 to 1, the vertical height of the panel is shorter than 10 inches.

I do submit that the satisfaction level with the 22" panels is dramatically higher. So, if that could be negotiated, I would suggest doing do, without reservation.

It's never my intent in this type of thread to spend someone else's money recklessly, but here I truly believe, it would be to good purpose.

Back