What's Next in Mobile? 10 Predictions for 2015

Scorpus

Staff member

Last year I made ten predictions for what technology we might see in devices released throughout 2014. Some of them I got right: we did see displays above 1080p, no interest in Windows RT, ubiquitous LTE, lots of affordable devices, no new battery tech, and slow 64-bit adoption. But not everything took off, with curved displays not really becoming a thing, and cameras staying relatively the same.

Now, as we head in to 2015, it's time to make another ten predictions for what we might see in mobile tech. Will the market slow down, or will we still see some cool new advancements? Only time will tell.

Read the complete article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wishful thinking for 2015: Laptops released this year will finally leave behind 720p, seeing more 1080p+ screens in the midrange markets, while the budget market will settle with 900p.

Of course I've been having this same wishful thought for over half a decade. =/

Please don't make slides a thing! :D

Happy new year to everyone

Happy new year to you as well!

We're experimenting with new formats so you might see a few slideshow type articles when the content is right for it. That said, you can always switch to single-page view by clicking on the button to the left of the prev/next page arrows. Thanks for the feedback :)

We're experimenting with new formats so you might see a few slideshow type articles when the content is right for it. That said, you can always switch to single-page view by clicking on the button to the left of the prev/next page arrows. Thanks for the feedback :)
The fact that there is a full page option is a huge plus compared to many sites that force articles into a slideshow format for the sake of getting more ad views, sometimes having two or even three slides for a single item.

As I developer I would much rather use the x86 then the arm processor. Just because x86 is more mature and it will be easy to port those old windows games.

Please don't make slides a thing! :D

Happy new year to everyone

I was viewing this topic on my phone the slides seem to change when I tried scrolling up or down. Can you please check if this an issue.

Hope for better battery life for phones in 2015.

IMO slides can be an appropriate & appealing method of content delivery.

That said, when viewing with Firefox v34.0, slide functionality was extremely spotty, with repeated click rejection on the next/previous targets as well as the "slide count button index" ( * * * * *, etc.) positioned beneath the graphic of the slide being viewed.

Hence, the option to view in page format was greatly appreciated. All offered simply as input, FWIW.

@hitech0101 , @Bobs Yer Uncle

Thank you guys. I've already made some changes to hopefully alleviate some of the mobile issues, but we'll certainly go deeper next week with our developers back in the office.

The one-page format is offered since I know some dislike the slides, however we purposely use the slide format for easy to digest topics that are good fit for it.

Pro tip: You can also use the keyboard to move from slide to slide.

@Julio Franco

Thanks for your response. I neglected to mention that within the confines of the slide presentation, directional keys also consistently failed to provide any next/previous screen response (again, using only Firefox v34.0).

All this hype about x64 bit, to me is a load of crap, until the software can do something to take advantage of it. Shoot, I have a el-cheapo (by so called flagship standards) mate2 with a snapdragon 400, and in side by side test, not stupid benchmarks, it's just as fast running the same apps as a Nexus6. Unless you run dual "windowed" apps that run a ton of graphics, why bother shelling out 800 bucks for something that sucks the daylights out of the battery? These mid-range spec devices, when done correctly, for the average consumer are fast enough without breaking the bank. Heck, most people use them to check the web, facebook, twitter, mp3's, texting. Is 0.003 seconds response time for launching an app worth the hit in battery performance, not to mention your wallet?

"consumers want better battery life above everything else" Really? I mean, yeah, I'd like better battery life, but I'd rather have the image stabilization you mentioned than not have to plug my phone in at night. My SG3 still snaps along, so faster hardware isn't worth more to me, so maybe that's the reason people are pushing the battery life to the fore? Granted, I've never cared if I had the thinnest phone either. Better battery life would be fine if all I gave up was a mm of thickness or so :)

Apple will release a new Iphone thousands will jizz their pants, I will still be using my old s3

Back