Where is the rest of the Hard drive space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happytriger2000

Hi all,
I have a J7F2 (Jetway Mainboard) 2.0 GHZ, and a hard drive of 1TB (Samsung F1 Spinpoint). I checked at the Hard drive's property and the volume is 9.77GB, what happened to the rest of the space?, could it be the Mainboard is not compatible with the Hard Drive?, can anyone help / guide me how to get the rest of the space back?

Thanks,

Freddy

Hi all,
I have a J7F2 (Jetway Mainboard) 2.0 GHZ, and a hard drive of 1TB (Samsung F1 Spinpoint). I checked at the Hard drive's property and the volume is 9.77GB, what happened to the rest of the space?, could it be the Mainboard is not compatible with the Hard Drive?, can anyone help / guide me how to get the rest of the space back?

Thanks,

Freddy
Some additional info would be helpful like
- What operating system/SP level are your running?
- Are you saying you created one large partition 1TB partition in the first place? Was the size ever correct? Or are you saying it changed from 1TB to 9.77GB in the last month?
- Did you create multiple partitions on the hard drive? You say
I checked at the Hard drive's property and the volume is 9.77GB
How did you check? Did you really check on the drive? Or did you check a volume on the drive? (i.e. you need to be sure you're examing the DRIVE and not a VOLUME
- Not having any specific information as to what may or not apply, i'll just throw this link in as well for good measure

Sorry for the late reply, howcome I did not get an email form Tech spot to alert me that my thread was answered?

Some additional info would be helpful like
- What operating system/SP level are your running?
Ans: I'm using XP pro SP2

- Are you saying you created one large partition 1TB partition in the first place? Was the size ever correct? Or are you saying it changed from 1TB to 9.77GB in the last month?
Ans: I don't remember exactly how, but I'm sure when formatting the 1tb HDD, I created just 1 partition, meaning using the full volume of the HDD

- Did you create multiple partitions on the hard drive? You say
No multiple partition.

How did you check?
Ans:
1: I right clik at the C drive---->Property.
2: Start------>Setting------>Control Panel------->Administrative Tool-------->Computer management--------->Disk management-------> From here I see the C drive have 2 partition where the 1st partition is 9.77GB in blue, and the 2nd partition with x.xxGB(will check the exact value tomorrow) in black.

Did you really check on the drive?
Or did you check a volume on the drive? (i.e. you need to be sure you're examing the DRIVE and not a VOLUME
Ans: The hard drive was a new Hard drive Samsung F1 Spinpoint, 1TB for sure.

Do you have eMail notification turned on in options?
Why did you wait so long to check back if you needed an answer? I check in more often than that, and I don't even have a question posted.

Do you have eMail notification turned on in options?
Why did you wait so long to check back if you needed an answer? I check in more often than that, and I don't even have a question posted.

Hi,
Ok, the notification is on for sure, just received an alert email.
Why did you wait so long to check back if you needed an answer?
I do check my yahoo mail quite often but somehow I didn't get an alert from the 1st reply from other member or did I miss it.....

Freddy

!!! WAIT!!!

I just noticed the threads new post. When I read this:
How did you check?
Ans:
1: I right clik at the C drive---->Property.
2: Start------>Setting------>Control Panel------->Administrative Tool-------->Computer management--------->Disk management-------> From here I see the C drive have 2 partition where the 1st partition is 9.77GB in blue, and the 2nd partition with x.xxGB(will check the exact value tomorrow) in black.

Still not certain from your answer i got the info i really wantso let me put it this way: what i was checking for. See the attachment . Look at the lower pane display under disk management. You see C: is on Disk 0. But so V: and J. These are 3 different partitions that all exist on one physical disk (Disk 0 listed at 111.79GB)

Do you see a Disk to volume to map like this?
- You are telling us the size of C:. C: is not the disk but just a single partition on the disk

Look at attached screen shot

Stilla long way from the 1TB he said in his first post.

Yes, but looking at just number of missing bytes as the one and only statistic doesn't tell you much about the problem or how serious or simple it might be

Questions becomes:
a) What size is shown for Disk0?? cuz THAT represents the drive. Talk about C: is talk about a single volume. The volume tells you a limited amount of info about the drive size.
b) What are the other partitions and their sizes that are allocated on Disk 0?
c) What;s the integrity of the partitions. (ie. are all expected files and folders there?) Because if so plus answers to a) and b) you may not want bother with a reinstall. Just resize your partitions.
d) Are there any forensic artefacts on the drive which could help show what happended (e.g. maybe the large 1TB partition was split up as the result of a side effect of some thing / some operation someone had done without ever realizing its resizing side effect.
e) The NUMBER of bytes discrepancy isn't nealry as important as determining all the above.

Any time that I have been to Device Manager, any unused or unallocated space on the HD shows up. I may have made a mistake by assuming the image in #12 post was from his machine because it shows it to all being allocated and would only be 120GB. Or did you(LookinAround) use your own as an example?

Hi guys,
I install the Samsung F1 Spinpoint 1TB HDD to my other desktop, and is formating now ( at 9% of completion), as for the J7F2 I'll use a 700Gb for this desktop and see what happens.

Before I took the 1TB out off the J7F2, I took Kimsland advice(post #10) and install a new fresh of XP, I deleted the partition and create a new partition, still the total space abvailable to format was 9.77GB, not 1TB, so I decided to swap the HDD with another desktop.

Freddy

hi hrlow2 :wave:

Ahhh.. now i understand what you meant. And, yea, had that been the case woulda been good to wonder why it was still off by so much.!

You said fresh REinstall and that you have formatted the HD and it still shows only 9.77GB for the partition?
?1. When you installed XP the very FIRST time, did you by any chance, put in some numbers for the volume of the partition?
?2. When reformatting, did you delete ALL partitions on the drive? If there were more than 1 partition on the drive and you just click on one of them to format, The rest will not be touched. If you had C as 9.77GB and the 990GB balance was a seperate partition, deleting and formatting C would give the same as you started with.

Hrlow2,
1. When you installed XP the very FIRST time, did you by any chance, put in some numbers for the volume of the partition?
Maybe I made a mistake when entering the value, but I tried re-installing the XP and delete the existing partition then create a new one, still shows the same value as it was.

2. When reformatting, did you delete ALL partitions on the drive?
Yes I had, and created a new partition, and same as before 9.77GB....isn't that odd.

Freddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back